GNome desktop black screen after login

General support questions
dbmnsu

GNome desktop black screen after login

Post by dbmnsu » 2020/02/04 21:53:11

Hi - I installed CentOS 7 v1908 x86_64 on a Dell 7020 computer with onboard graphics recently and was able to login with a full graphics environment. Today I logged in and all that appears are the Home and Trash icon on a black background with no menus. Clicking on the right mouse button allows me to open a terminal window which always appears in the upper left corner. No way to log out, The only way to exit that I could discover is to reboot.

This is in a student lab so I am searching for a fix that doesn't involve a reinstall of the OS as that would delete student work.

Thanks...

sml

Re: GNome desktop black screen after login

Post by sml » 2020/02/05 07:39:23

Have you accidentally logged in as root? Do you have a remote home directory that gets automounted on logon?
  • After login, check that your are in your home directory:

Code: Select all

pwd; echo $HOME
  • Check the ownership and permissions of ~/.Xauthority:

ls -lZ ~/.Xauthority
  • Check the ownership and permissions of your home directory:

ls -ldZ $HOME

dbmnsu

Re: GNome desktop black screen after login

Post by dbmnsu » 2020/02/14 23:43:02

Thanks for your response.

I checked the items you listed but they were set as you suggested. I found something to run to change the type of gnome - something to change it to "Classic".

When I ran that I got some funny errors that looked related to some software I had installed that seemed of value at one time.

I removed the software from the path and that took care of the problem. I will have to see if I need the software.

Thanks again...

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”