CentOS7 Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Support

Issues related to hardware problems
alphasite
Posts: 5
Joined: 2015/10/12 19:02:35

Re: CentOS7 Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Support

Post by alphasite » 2019/12/27 05:24:44

I've downloaded the image and written it to a microSD card and booted CentOS 7 on my Raspberry Pi 4. I'm using a 256GB card so I wanted to expand but was unable to do that as rootfs-expand is missing:

[root@localhost ~]# cat README
== CentOS 7 userland ==

If you want to automatically resize your / partition, just type the following (as root user):
rootfs-expand

[root@localhost ~]# rootfs-expand
-bash: rootfs-expand: command not found

thomas_rudloff
Posts: 2
Joined: 2020/01/15 21:01:49

Re: CentOS7 Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Support

Post by thomas_rudloff » 2020/01/15 21:16:24

Thank you so much. I installed the AARCH64 image on a SD card and resized 10GB more for my first installations. I have reached the rpm world finally after so much googling.

Is there a CentOS version for the Odroid N2? Propably the most powerfull ARM V8. I will get one in a few days.

Again thak you. I am so lucky. Though I am with Linux very long I suspended for two years after my first attempts to get ARM64 running useful. That was with the Odroid C2. The only useful hardware I knew at this time because 1GB RAM is way to small today. 2GB are fair and 4GB are OK.

I found many things chaged these two years. I installed XRDP on two systems and it worked. Last time I needed to install an HDMI to VGA adapter for correct config and use VNC.

alphasite
Posts: 5
Joined: 2015/10/12 19:02:35

Re: CentOS7 Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Support

Post by alphasite » 2020/01/17 05:00:20

How did you resize the image?

thomas_rudloff
Posts: 2
Joined: 2020/01/15 21:01:49

Re: CentOS7 Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Support

Post by thomas_rudloff » 2020/01/17 08:17:08

Put the SD card in a linux machine with gparted installed. Select the SD card on the right top. Unmount the EXT partition and chose resize. Modify the size. When you shrink to save space for a snapshot make sure to leave some space for the next boot.

Klick "apply" and wait to finish.

Unmount the other partion(s) and remove the SD card.

Jebel_Krong
Posts: 1
Joined: 2020/01/19 04:28:19

Re: CentOS7 Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Support

Post by Jebel_Krong » 2020/01/19 04:44:41

Hope adding on to this thread is ok. I've tried to get an SSD connected via usb3 configured as '/' following approximately this https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi ... sh-drives/ blog post. I know it's Raspbian, but the result has been...interesting.

Code: Select all

[root@localhost /]# mount | grep ^\/dev
/dev/mmcblk0p3 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,seclabel)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type vfat (rw,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

Code: Select all

/dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="16CB-DE38" TYPE="vfat" 
/dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="_swap" UUID="8322aeee-a657-49db-b257-46d8e4467591" TYPE="swap" 
/dev/mmcblk0p3: LABEL="_/" UUID="96a7d256-5af0-4b28-91c0-c414e8249b38" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sda1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="16CB-DE38" TYPE="vfat" 
/dev/sda2: LABEL="_swap" UUID="8322aeee-a657-49db-b257-46d8e4467591" TYPE="swap" 
/dev/sda3: LABEL="_/" UUID="562d2eb7-5971-4f07-b009-c6c39d4d35b6" TYPE="ext4" PTTYPE="dos" 
/dev/mmcblk0: PTTYPE="dos" 

Code: Select all

[root@localhost boot]# cat cmdline.txt
console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=UUID=562d2eb7-5971-4f07-b009-c6c39d4d35b6 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait

I would like to get at least /var, /usr, and /home from the ssd mounted. In other attempts, I've gotten /home and I think /usr mounted, but, getting that last mount has been problematic, it could be due to something with SELinux, but, I thought I had set Permissive in /etc/selinux.conf and the pi 4 just wouldnt boot. I would guess I've run into something with the device overlay tree, but I don't know how to update it after a first read-through of the docs. I'm running C7 with the experimental 64 bit image listed in this thread... (thanks for working on that btw!)

prixone
Posts: 1
Joined: 2020/02/03 02:54:43

Re: CentOS7 Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Support

Post by prixone » 2020/02/03 02:58:44

pgreco wrote:
2019/11/21 10:46:14
So, a bit of news, I have TEST version a TEST image for a TEST rpi4 using TEST aarch64.
For those who want to TEST, here's te TEST link https://people.centos.org/pgreco/CentOS ... al-4-1908/
I have been using it for a few days and haven't seen anything strange, but it's been only cli/ssh.

Pablo.

P.S.1 ) Did I mention this is a TEST? :D :D
P.S.2 ) I compiled some things and made the image itself in machines other than CentOS' servers, if you don't trust me, don't use it :mrgreen: :D
Thanks for this awesome work!

How usable is this iso or should I fallback to 32bit?

My goal is to run a few things like httpd, mysql, dotnet, no gui required mainly cli/ssh, etc, pretty much a dev server for testing.

mithnae
Posts: 1
Joined: 2020/02/22 16:20:44

Re: CentOS7 Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Support

Post by mithnae » 2020/03/20 01:21:44

prixone wrote:
2020/02/03 02:58:44
pgreco wrote:
2019/11/21 10:46:14
So, a bit of news, I have TEST version a TEST image for a TEST rpi4 using TEST aarch64.
For those who want to TEST, here's te TEST link https://people.centos.org/pgreco/CentOS ... al-4-1908/
I have been using it for a few days and haven't seen anything strange, but it's been only cli/ssh.

Pablo.

P.S.1 ) Did I mention this is a TEST? :D :D
P.S.2 ) I compiled some things and made the image itself in machines other than CentOS' servers, if you don't trust me, don't use it :mrgreen: :D
Thanks for this awesome work!

How usable is this iso or should I fallback to 32bit?

My goal is to run a few things like httpd, mysql, dotnet, no gui required mainly cli/ssh, etc, pretty much a dev server for testing.
The image seems to be fairly usable. I am using it to test build Postgres RPMS - with the exception of llvm it works very well.
However I do find a problem to access I2C on-board – despite having all modules loaded and all udev rules in place (compared wit Raspbiab), kernel does not see the devices and

Code: Select all

i2cdetect -l
returns nothing.
Any idea how to make it work?

arrowinternational
Posts: 1
Joined: 2020/03/27 16:16:35

Re: CentOS7 Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Support

Post by arrowinternational » 2020/03/27 16:20:55

I have successfully loaded KDE on the RPi4 4GB. But does anyone know how to change the screen resolution? I am stuck at weird 1824x984 resolution.

pgreco
Posts: 23
Joined: 2018/04/14 17:23:02

Re: CentOS7 Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Support

Post by pgreco » 2020/03/28 13:09:02

mithnae wrote:
2020/03/20 01:21:44
prixone wrote:
2020/02/03 02:58:44
pgreco wrote:
2019/11/21 10:46:14
So, a bit of news, I have TEST version a TEST image for a TEST rpi4 using TEST aarch64.
For those who want to TEST, here's te TEST link https://people.centos.org/pgreco/CentOS ... al-4-1908/
I have been using it for a few days and haven't seen anything strange, but it's been only cli/ssh.

Pablo.

P.S.1 ) Did I mention this is a TEST? :D :D
P.S.2 ) I compiled some things and made the image itself in machines other than CentOS' servers, if you don't trust me, don't use it :mrgreen: :D
Thanks for this awesome work!

How usable is this iso or should I fallback to 32bit?

My goal is to run a few things like httpd, mysql, dotnet, no gui required mainly cli/ssh, etc, pretty much a dev server for testing.
The image seems to be fairly usable. I am using it to test build Postgres RPMS - with the exception of llvm it works very well.
However I do find a problem to access I2C on-board – despite having all modules loaded and all udev rules in place (compared wit Raspbiab), kernel does not see the devices and

Code: Select all

i2cdetect -l
returns nothing.
Any idea how to make it work?
We'll be starting to test the 5.4.x kernel in for the rpi in the next few days and it should appear here (http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/expe ... l/aarch64/). Please test again after updating.

pgreco
Posts: 23
Joined: 2018/04/14 17:23:02

Re: CentOS7 Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Support

Post by pgreco » 2020/03/28 13:10:36

arrowinternational wrote:
2020/03/27 16:20:55
I have successfully loaded KDE on the RPi4 4GB. But does anyone know how to change the screen resolution? I am stuck at weird 1824x984 resolution.
That resolution sounds like overscan to me, can you try adding disable_overscan=1 to your /boot/config.txt (if it doesn't exist, you'll need to create it)

EDIT: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

Post Reply

Return to “CentOS 7 - Hardware Support”