How to change the the login screen background in CentOS 7.5

General support questions
Post Reply
stone
Posts: 3
Joined: 2018/12/19 06:21:48

How to change the the login screen background in CentOS 7.5

Post by stone » 2018/12/19 07:12:35

I am using CentOS 7.5.1804. I want to change the background of Login Screen(SignIn Screen and Unlock Screen). I try to follow the Ubuntu way of changing the login Screen by modifing the “lockDialogGroup” segment in gnome-shell css file. But it does not work well enough:Only the Unlock login Screen background changed,the SignIn login Screen background does not change.
Is there any way to change the background of Login Screen in CentOS 7.5?

Have a nice day!

everdata
Posts: 1
Joined: 2018/12/19 13:19:36

Re: How to change the the login screen background in CentOS 7.5

Post by everdata » 2018/12/19 13:25:12

I found a brute force way. Look in /usr/share/backgrounds for jpg and a png file (day, night, morning, default). Save them in a separate subfolder. The file default.xml will explain what these are used for.

Use Inkscape to create a 1920x1200 png file, something with a single color. That becomes the new default.png file. Convert that file to a new jpg file with the command-line "convert" command (ex: convert abc.png abc.jpg). Make copies named default, day, night, morning (all with a jpg extension). Reboot and check that the display is the color that you chose.

If someone has a less brute-force method, pls contribute.


Thanks

desertcat
Posts: 842
Joined: 2014/08/07 02:17:29
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: How to change the the login screen background in CentOS 7.5

Post by desertcat » 2018/12/20 07:20:27

stone wrote:
2018/12/19 07:12:35
I am using CentOS 7.5.1804. I want to change the background of Login Screen(SignIn Screen and Unlock Screen). I try to follow the Ubuntu way of changing the login Screen by modifing the “lockDialogGroup” segment in gnome-shell css file. But it does not work well enough:Only the Unlock login Screen background changed,the SignIn login Screen background does not change.
Is there any way to change the background of Login Screen in CentOS 7.5?

Have a nice day!
After getting GRUB2 mangled somehow a year or two ago, I stumbled across a nifty program called GRUB Customizer, and beyond giving you a quick and easy way to recover from a GRUB 2 disaster it allows to to customize GRUB to boot screen. As far as the actual login page that too is fairly easy if you are using lightdm, then it is simply a matter of modifying one one line in a config page and presto! New background when you reboot the machine!

Edit: To install Grub Customizer run the command as root from a konsole yum install grub-customizer

stone
Posts: 3
Joined: 2018/12/19 06:21:48

Re: How to change the the login screen background in CentOS 7.5

Post by stone » 2018/12/21 02:47:06

everdata wrote:
2018/12/19 13:25:12
I found a brute force way. Look in /usr/share/backgrounds for jpg and a png file (day, night, morning, default). Save them in a separate subfolder. The file default.xml will explain what these are used for.

Use Inkscape to create a 1920x1200 png file, something with a single color. That becomes the new default.png file. Convert that file to a new jpg file with the command-line "convert" command (ex: convert abc.png abc.jpg). Make copies named default, day, night, morning (all with a jpg extension). Reboot and check that the display is the color that you chose.

If someone has a less brute-force method, pls contribute.


Thanks
Thanks for your reply.
But I think the pictures in /usr/share/backgrounds are used for Desktop Background. You means them can also be used for Login Screen Background by the way you mentioned above?

stone
Posts: 3
Joined: 2018/12/19 06:21:48

Re: How to change the the login screen background in CentOS 7.5

Post by stone » 2018/12/21 02:48:15

desertcat wrote:
2018/12/20 07:20:27
stone wrote:
2018/12/19 07:12:35
I am using CentOS 7.5.1804. I want to change the background of Login Screen(SignIn Screen and Unlock Screen). I try to follow the Ubuntu way of changing the login Screen by modifing the “lockDialogGroup” segment in gnome-shell css file. But it does not work well enough:Only the Unlock login Screen background changed,the SignIn login Screen background does not change.
Is there any way to change the background of Login Screen in CentOS 7.5?

Have a nice day!
After getting GRUB2 mangled somehow a year or two ago, I stumbled across a nifty program called GRUB Customizer, and beyond giving you a quick and easy way to recover from a GRUB 2 disaster it allows to to customize GRUB to boot screen. As far as the actual login page that too is fairly easy if you are using lightdm, then it is simply a matter of modifying one one line in a config page and presto! New background when you reboot the machine!

Edit: To install Grub Customizer run the command as root from a konsole yum install grub-customizer
Thanks for your reply. I will try.


Post Reply