[RESOLVED] Samba-4 on CentOS-5.6

Issues related to software problems.
bijit

Post by bijit » 2011/07/14 16:55:05

Hello All,

I was trying to set up Samba-4 on both CentOS-5.2 and CentOS-5.6 system. I was following the official http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO to install and setup Samba-4.
But, I could not go beyond "make quicktest" step. Do not remember if the errors were exactly the same on both the Versions.

An excerpt of the log is pasted below on CentOS-5.6

== samba4.smb.signing on with -k no --option=gensec:spengo=no --signing=off administrator(plugin_s4_dc) ==
command: /home/admin/Downloads/Samba4/samba-master/bin/smbtorture --configfile=$SMB_CONF_PATH --maximum-runtime=$SELFTEST_MAXTIME --target=samba4 --basedir=$SELFTEST_TMPDIR --option=torture:progress=no --format=subunit --option=torture:quick=yes $LISTOPT //$NETBIOSNAME/tmp -k no --option=gensec:spengo=no --signing=off -U$DC_USERNAME%$DC_PASSWORD base.xcopy $LOADLIST 2>&1 | /home/admin/Downloads/Samba4/samba-master/selftest/filter-subunit $LISTOPT --fail-on-empty --prefix="samba4.smb.signing on with -k no --option=gensec:spengo=no --signing=off administrator."
expanded command: /home/admin/Downloads/Samba4/samba-master/bin/smbtorture --configfile=/home/admin/Downloads/Samba4/samba-master/st/client/client.conf --maximum-runtime=1200 --target=samba4 --basedir=/home/admin/Downloads/Samba4/samba-master/st/tmp --option=torture:progress=no --format=subunit --option=torture:quick=yes $LISTOPT //PLUGINDC/tmp -k no --option=gensec:spengo=no --signing=off -UAdministrator%locDCpass1 base.xcopy $LOADLIST 2>&1 | /home/admin/Downloads/Samba4/samba-master/selftest/filter-subunit $LISTOPT --fail-on-empty --prefix="samba4.smb.signing on with -k no --option=gensec:spengo=no --signing=off administrator."
ERROR: Testsuite[samba4.smb.signing on with -k no --option=gensec:spengo=no --signing=off administrator(plugin_s4_dc)]
REASON: Exit code was 1

= Skipped tests =
UNKNOWN
samba3.posix_s3.raw.ioctl (s3dc)
samba3.posix_s3.raw.oplockraw.qfileinfo (s3dc)
samba3.posix_s3.raw.qfsinfo (s3dc)
samba4.ntvfs.cifs.krb5.raw.open(dc)
samba4.ntvfs.cifs.krb5.raw.read(dc)
samba4.ntvfs.cifs.krb5.raw.write(dc)
samba4.ntvfs.cifs.krb5.raw.rename(dc)
samba4.ntvfs.cifs.krb5.raw.qfsinfo(dc)
samba4.ntvfs.cifs.krb5.raw.qfileinfo(dc)
samba4.ntvfs.cifs.krb5.raw.close(dc)
samba4.ntvfs.cifs.krb5.raw.mkdir(dc)
samba4.ntvfs.cifs.krb5.raw.ioctl(dc)
samba4.ntvfs.cifs.krb5.raw.seek(dc)
samba4.ntvfs.cifs.krb5.raw.eas(dc)

However, Samba-4 could be set up on Fedora 13, Fedora 14 and Fedora 15.

Could anyone help me know why is this happening? Is Samba-4 not supported on CentOS?

Thanks,
-Bijit

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/16 15:22:51

Samba 4 is not supported on CentOS-5 and [url=http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/SourceInstalls]Source Installs[/url] are [b]highly[/b] discouraged. You should not be using the obsolete and unsupported 5.2 with its numerous known bugs and security issues with known exploits in the wild.

CentOS 6 has samba4 packages as an alternative to the default samba-3.5.4-68.el6_0.2.

bijit

Re: Samba-4 on CentOS-5.6

Post by bijit » 2011/07/19 16:56:53

Thanks a lot, Phil !!

I have installed CentOS-6 and have been able to configure Samba-4 as a Domain Controller on it.

Thanks,
-Bijit

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: [RESOLVED] Samba-4 on CentOS-5.6

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/19 17:05:50

You are welcome, and thanks for reporting back. Marking this thread [RESOLVED] for posterity.

Return to “CentOS 5 - Software Support”