BIOS errors during boot following Centos 5 install

General support questions including new installations
rogene

Post by rogene » 2007/11/15 06:09:35

After updating from Centos 4.5 to Centos 5.0, I am getting the following errors during boot:

PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
PCI: Not using MMCONFIG
ACPI getting CPU index for 0x3
ACPI getting CPU index for 0x4
USB 3-2: device not accepting address 2, error -71

This has been a 2-day pain-in-the-you-know-where. Woul d someone please give me a hint.

Thanks.

pjwelsh

Re: BIOS errors during boot following Centos 5 install

Post by pjwelsh » 2007/11/15 15:27:40

You may need to fully describe your hardware. That is MB, chipset etc. Besides the boot error *info*, what is wrong?

rogene

Post by rogene » 2007/11/16 05:10:01

ASUS P5B Deluxe mobo, ACPI BIOS Revision 0804, Software Revision 1221 ROM.
Intel C2D E6300 (dual 64-bit)
4 GB PC2-6400
500 GB (ST, SATA)
Antex 500 Watt
nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

The system was originally running Centos 4.5 x86_64. In the installation notes from the shop where the machine was assembled and the OS installed, they noted: "Had to set the BIOS to ACHI for the SATA controllers as CentOS has some problems with drivers on this Intel Chipset with SATA controllers." I don't know if this is related, but the clock would also slow down by 2-3 minutes a week (or so...) - I was often having to reset so that I would not be late to appointments.

I was never able to get the video drivers to work quite right in the initial configuration - the OS never recognized the particular model of video card. so I had to manual installl drivers from the nVidia site. Every so often, the driver would crash, and the system would choose some default low res generic driver, so I would have to reinstall.

After reinstalling the driver a few weeks ago, Firefox began to crash whenever I opened a URL that contained a JOGL applet (java for open gl). This was kinda a problem, because I was developing a web 2.0 site that relied on a jogl applet. I wrote SUN and nVIDIA - no response. But I found on an nVIDIA forum the suggestion to update the BIOS and the OS to some specific >= version of linux.

I had been all along having a lot of trouble finding all the 64-bit software I needed.There were a number of 32-bit/64-bit battles getting java plugins working in Firefox, etc. Sound would work from one device but not another, etc. So, I decided to go for a vanilla 32-bit setup while working on this web project (I could switch back to a 64-bit OS for scientfic computing later.) I downloaded the 32-bit Centos 5 onto 6 disks and backed up all my data.

I did the BIOS update first. It had some messagae about the clock speed, but it was gone before I could write it down, and it does not reappear now.

Then, I installed Centos 5. It went smooth. It even recognized my video card and installed the correct driver. I thought my problems were over...

See my next post for a well documented example of the strange behavior.

I am hoping that the simple (?) solution is to switch the BIOS back to SATA for the SATA controllers. But quite frankly, I don't know what the heck SATA or ACHI mean, but less what their settings should be.

Thank you so very much for responding to my post.

rogene

Post by rogene » 2007/11/16 05:40:34

I found a few other notes that that summarize what happened after my second installation of the OS.

? Updated Bios this evening (see my notes on page 1 of user guide)
? Install Centos OS 5.0 (32-bit, i386) fresh off CD (re-install cycle)
o Note: throwing error at boot: PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at e0000000 is not E-820 reserved
? Check for updates using yum and/or package manager and reboot
? Download JAVA SDK SE 6 release 3 (NOT the version with J2EE included)
? Link the java plugin to firefox and test SUN's JOGL page
o Action: create a symbolic link in /usr/lib/firefox*/firefox
o Response: I don?t get the ?download plugin? error, but nothing shows up where the applet should be!
Login as Rogene and try.
 Wow --- I can?t even open the JAVA console. Something is screwed.
? Suddenly, this thing is writing ?m? in every window. And I can?t complete boot cycle as it goes into an unresponsive BIOS mode. Every boot brings up this damned BIOS screen - why???

After shutting the machine off for > 60 minutes, I was able to boot again without the BIOS screen automatically coming up during boot. I should mention that the BIOS screen was unresponsive to keyboard input (which in my case is a USB device). So all you could do is hit the reboot button and keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks again for help.

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/11/16 11:28:08

[quote]
? Download JAVA SDK SE 6 release 3 (NOT the version with J2EE included)
? Link the java plugin to firefox and test SUN's JOGL page
o Action: create a symbolic link in /usr/lib/firefox*/firefox
o Response: I don?t get the ?download plugin? error, but nothing shows up where the applet should be!
Login as Rogene and try.
Wow --- I can?t even open the JAVA console. Something is screwed.
[/quote]

The plugin lik should go into the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins location, this way the plugin is available after a firefox uprade and for other 'web' browsers.

What is the output of the follow commands;

/usr/sbin/alternatives --display java
which java
java -version

Also see; http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/help-installing-java-sdkjdk-6-on-fedora-core-6-525948/&highlight=jdk

[quote]
After shutting the machine off for > 60 minutes, I was able to boot again without the BIOS screen automatically coming up during boot. I should mention that the BIOS screen was unresponsive to keyboard input (which in my case is a USB device). So all you could do is hit the reboot button and keep your fingers crossed.
[/quote]

Then try setting in the BIOS the legacy USB support, you may have to use a different non-USB keyboard if possible.

pjwelsh

Post by pjwelsh » 2007/11/16 16:32:42

You aren't trying to OC that Asus board are you?
Nice little linux gaming rig with the box. You should play a little (free) Enemy Territory or pay for the ETQW... must not play games at work, must not play games at work, must not play games at work ;)

rogene

Post by rogene » 2007/11/16 18:25:42

I am not into video games, so I don't know what you are talking about - sorry. The machine was originally configured for scientific computing and visualization. Perhaps the people from whom I bought the computer from overclocked the thing. If you suspect this is part of the problem, how do I FIX it?

Related, I also get this message when I shut down the machine: "Syncing hardware clock to system time audit..."

Next, thanks for the link re: the plugin, but this is not the main issue (it just describes the steps I took BEFORE my problems began). THIS is the problem:

[quote]Suddenly, this thing is writing ?m? in every window. And I can?t complete boot cycle as it goes into an unresponsive BIOS mode. Every boot brings up this damned BIOS screen - why???[/quote]

As for my BIOS USB settings,

[quote]USB Module version - 2.24.0-11.4
USB Devices Enabled: 1 Mouse
USB Functions ENABLED
Legacy USB support AUTO
Port 64/60 Emulation DISABLED
USB 2.0 Controller Mode HISPEED
BIOS EHCI Hand-off ENABLED[/quote]

As I mentioned in my earlier post:

[quote]The system was originally running Centos 4.5 x86_64. In the installation notes from the shop where the machine was assembled and the OS installed, they noted: "Had to set the BIOS to ACHI for the SATA controllers as CentOS has some problems with drivers on this Intel Chipset with SATA controllers."[/quote]

Do I need to change this back to SATA if I am installing the 32-bit version of Centos 5?

Actually, it appears that the BIOS update switched this back to SATA. Perhaps this is part of the problem. I just tried switching back back, but I don't know what options to select.

In the BIOS IDE Config page -

SATA Configuration ??? Disabled/Compatable/Enhanced?
Configure SATA as [ACHI]

As addendum, I just tried plugging in a USB thunb drive, and the system doesn't recognize it.

Thanks.

pjwelsh

Post by pjwelsh » 2007/11/16 19:39:56

Wow sorry you are having so many issues. I can provide no useful info on your javaish related issue...
In order to get a handle on the MB, I would currently suggest that you set the BIOS back to factory "safe" mode *or* pull the little BIOS watch battery and start with that... Normally when the MB goes into BIOS setup screen is that something is not liked by the board! Heck, depending on the age, it may actually be the BIOS battery that is not holding a charge and causing the issue.

rogene

Post by rogene » 2007/11/16 23:08:24

Interesting... I will try removing the battery ro reset the BIOS.

And after that, I think I will pack up the system and send it to the folks I bought it from for repair...

Thanks