GENtOS?

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
RonB

Re: GENtOS?

Post by RonB » 2009/03/25 22:12:36

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
My download worked - installing x86_64 now in VMware Server. Sure looks a h311 of a lot like CentOS/RHEL-5. There is an added option on the first category selection page "Minimum" which is checked by default. Seems to mess up the later package selection - on the next page GNOME is not selected even though it was checked on the first page. Going back and unchecking Minimum and checking GNOME still leaved GNOME unselected. Looks like their QA team needs some help! :-D

Additional selections on the 2nd page too: Everything Else, Minimal, Router, Everything.

To be continued...

EDIT: Install finished. On reboot came up in runlevel 3, despite having installed GNOME and KDE, and did not run firstboot. Not a great start. The release notes use "I" a lot and are signed "Kevin Wood". Looks like a one-man-show. There are os & updates in a GENtOS repo, so he's not pointing to CentOS for updates. No other repos configured.[/quote]

Thanks for the report -- now I don't have to worry about downloading it.

RonB

Post by RonB » 2009/03/25 22:18:12

[quote]
AlanJBartlett wrote:
[quote]Apparently Firefox killed the download before it was finished (at 4.0 Gigs) -- so I'm going to try again.[/quote]
Don't use [i]Firefox[/i] for downloading, [b]Ron[/b]. Use [i]wget[/i]. :roll:[/quote]

Never even thought of that, even though I've actually "heard" of wget. Tried downloading GENtOS about 4 times. The site kept going down and FireFox couldn't recover when it came back up. Does wget restart stalled downloads without issues?

(Hey, I came over from Windows -- which I used for {mumble-dee-mumble-dee} years. My brain is pretty much mush now.)

As it is, with GENtOS anyhow, I don't have to worry about it anymore -- I've already seen the report. In the past I've never had troubles with large downloads using FireFox, but I'll definitely look into and start using wget.

toracat
Site Admin

Post by toracat » 2009/03/25 22:33:29

[quote]
RonB wrote:

Never even thought of that, even though I've actually "heard" of wget. Tried downloading GENtOS about 4 times. The site kept going down and FireFox couldn't recover when it came back up. Does wget restart stalled downloads without issues?
[/quote]
Yes. [b]man wget[/b] and look for the [b]-c[/b] option.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2009/03/26 16:00:07

[quote]My brain is pretty much mush now.[/quote]
How about starting a [i]mushy brain[/i] sig?

You be founder member, [b]Ron[/b] and I'll join -- bringing some of the [i]usual suspects[/i] with me. :roll:

ykorotia

Post by ykorotia » 2009/05/23 16:58:26

probably he very knows story about Lindows...

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2009/05/23 17:17:34

Don't really follow that reference. Michael Robertson was not a one man show and he was successful enough to irritate Microsoft into forcing him to change the name to Linspire, have systems with his OS sold by Walmart and others, and after selling it went on to get sued by record companies for his efforts in another business venture - MP3tunes.