Login on KDE

Issues related to applications and software problems
Iutech

Login on KDE

Post by Iutech » 2021/12/10 10:42:10

Hi all.
As I wrote elsewhere, I'm a Debianist but I come in peace, please don't kill me.

We have a few CentOS 6 on dual-boot at work, I asked about upgrading them to CentOS 7 and was answered "yes, if it still possible to use Marionette on KDE".

Since I don't know which Marionette they're talking about (apparently there are many softwares named Marionette, none in the official CentOS repositories) I logged on one of the CentOS 6 computers to find what they are using, but not only didn't I find Marionette on it, I couldn't log on KDE.

When I log in, I'm in Gnome 2. There are a lot of KDE applications in the menu (like Konsole) so I guess that KDE is actually installed, but it's not offered as an option on the login screen.

I looked on DDG and what I found was either to use the button on the bottom left of the login screen (there is none) or to go to "Applications" and select Desktop Switcher, which I wasn't able to find anyway.

Since it's a CentOS 6 and the repositories have been removed by RedHat, I can't install anything on it...

Any solution ?

jlehtone

Re: Login on KDE

Post by jlehtone » 2021/12/10 13:25:23

Iutech wrote:
2021/12/10 10:42:10
... was answered "yes, if it still possible to use Marionette on KDE".

Since I don't know which Marionette they're talking about (apparently there are many softwares named Marionette, ...
If they can't explain in better detail, then they don't need it? :twisted:

Iutech

Post by Iutech » 2021/12/10 13:28:13

Well, it's just that they may not be online right now (and I don't have any idea about when they will be), and since my boss is anti-linux, I'd like to do that upgrade as soon as I can, before he has time to say "don't bother about it"...

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/12/10 17:22:50

You're going to need to find out what this software is so that you can replicate the install.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Iutech

Post by Iutech » 2021/12/15 09:58:45

Yes, my boss told me it's in fact Marionnet.
Apparently not in the CentOS 7 repositories though.

But I still don't know how to login on KDE on these CentOS machines...

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/12/15 11:56:38

You don't need to run a full KDE desktop to run KDE applications.

I looked at the link you posted and it doesn't appear that they supprt anything other than Debian for a packaged install. Anything else and it looks like you need to run their "script" to do the install. I suspect your best bet is to set up a disposable VM with a GUI running the newer version of CentOS that you want and then run the script they provide and see what it complains about.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Iutech

Post by Iutech » 2021/12/15 14:48:02

OK, I tried to compile from sources but the Sourceforge link the Marionnet website provides is dead (and nobody answered the contact form yet).

Anyway, how to login on KDE ? Or to check if KDE is there since it's theoretically possible that KDE isn't there (though the demander assumes it is and the applications are there) ?