Anaconda installation of CentOS 7 works, but still get "No operating system found."

General support questions
mmallkc@gmail.com

Anaconda installation of CentOS 7 works, but still get "No operating system found."

Post by mmallkc@gmail.com » 2021/01/21 16:12:06

I tried to convert an IBM Lenovo Thinkcentre Series M computer with Windows 7 in our office to a CentOS 7 box using the instructions at https://docs.centos.org/en-US/centos/in ... ation-x86/.

Everything installed correctly; but, when I try to boot the computer, I get "Error 1962: No operating system found. Press any key to repeat boot sequence.

Initially, I was getting the following.

PXE-E53: No boot filename received
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
Error 1962: No operating system found. Press any key to repeat boot sequence.

In the BIOS/UEFI, I put the HD at the top of the list of boot options and I removed the network boot option from the list. I am now just getting the last of the above three errors. I have tried setting Boot Mode to "Auto", "UEFI", and "Legacy". None of these settins worked.

When searching for a solution, I found the two articles below. Neither of them fixed my issue.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56163&p=237087&hil ... 62#p237087

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56163&p=237087&hil ... 62#p237137

I tried going through the Anaconda process again and chose to let the tool automatically create the partitions. I notice it created boty a /boot and a /boot/uefi mount point. Neverthless, it still doesn't matter whether I choose "Legacy" or "UEFI" for the Boot Mode. I still get the error.

Can anyone make any further suggestions? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerley,

Mike

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Anaconda installation of CentOS 7 works, but still get "No operating system found."

Post by TrevorH » 2021/01/21 17:02:19

What are you booting from to perform the install and how did you create it?

Some USB stick utilities corrupt the CentOS isos so that they always believe they are booted on a Legacy BIOS machine so it installs in Legacy BIOS mode and then tries to boot in UEFI mode and fails. See the lin in my sig for USB Installs which details which ones are known to be broken and should not be used.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke