RHEL as a replacement for CentOS?

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support

peterwalkley

Re: RHEL as a replacement for CentOS?

Post by peterwalkley » 2021/01/20 16:44:17

RH are going to need to change their website. Darned if I can find anything in there on how to get a developer subscription (or if its free or not) - and for commercial use, nothing visible about the costs unless you talk to sales people. Stuff that !

lightman47

Post by lightman47 » 2021/01/20 16:47:53

Costs (clicked on buy, then buy online):
https://www.redhat.com/en/store/linux-platforms
That's PER YEAR/PER MACHINE !!! Kinda prohibitive for me with 6 machines running CentOS as a learning tool/hobby. They're all C7 now, but still ...
And if cost is no object, there is still the 3rd party repo support to consider.

peterwalkley

Post by peterwalkley » 2021/01/20 17:22:52

Aaaarrgghh !!! Thank-you.

NONE of the links I see on access.redhat.com seem go through the store pages - even when look at subscriptions. Its just pushing you at sales people instead. Awful site compared to the ones for tools I pay for (intellij etc).

Still sitting on the fence on what to do. Very interested to see what CloudLinux come up with or if Rocky gets off the ground before I need to move. I want to stay with centos/RH for my home uses as work is a redhat shop and I don't want to be learning different flavours of linux. I'm an application developer, the OS is just a thing that's supposed to work and not get in my way !

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/01/20 19:43:26

The IRC bot has this:

For more information on the free Red Hat Developer subscription please see https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2016 ... available/ with instructions for renewal on https://developers.redhat.com/articles/ ... scription/
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

George99

Post by George99 » 2021/01/20 20:13:53

lightman47 wrote:
2021/01/20 16:47:53
That's PER YEAR/PER MACHINE !!! Kinda prohibitive for me with 6 machines
You are allowed to set up up to 16 machines free of charge with a developer account. And from February on also for commercial purposes.

chemal

Post by chemal » 2021/01/20 21:21:07

Until now, the developer subscription only gives you access to the server variant of RHEL. I haven't found any indications that this has changed. Therefore this new thing is also worthless for workstations.

tkuraku

Post by tkuraku » 2021/01/21 03:55:53

Server with a GUI is included in the RHEL developers subscription. It has everything you need for a workstation. I use it for mine.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2021/01/21 06:23:52

peterwalkley wrote:
2021/01/20 17:22:52
Aaaarrgghh !!! Thank-you.

NONE of the links I see on access.redhat.com seem go through the store pages - even when look at subscriptions. Its just pushing you at sales people instead. Awful site compared to the ones for tools I pay for (intellij etc).

Still sitting on the fence on what to do. Very interested to see what CloudLinux come up with or if Rocky gets off the ground before I need to move. I want to stay with centos/RH for my home uses as work is a redhat shop and I don't want to be learning different flavours of linux. I'm an application developer, the OS is just a thing that's supposed to work and not get in my way !
Can anyone say, "WHOOPS!?!? I think Red Hat suddenly realized that they screwed up, and screwed up BIG TIME!! The CentOS Community is a LARGE Community, comprised of a vast cast of characters, but many of us are PROFESSIONALS that have been using Red Hat Linux since around kernel 2.x. Red Hat decided to see if they could push a community this size around, and suddenly they are *surprised* that the Community pushed right back. Red Hat has probably been getting an earful about their poorly thought out plan, the way they "announced" said plan, and the tremendous backlash they are now receiving. Now, as a result of their ill conceived thinking, they are suddenly back peddling for all their worth.

1. Red Hat may end up facing a Fork of RHEL, that they have no control over.
2. Users who have been supporting and promoting Red Hat, may start to migrate to other distros such as Rocky Linux -- still vaporware, and whatever comes out of Cloud Linux -- also vaporware -- but both are expected to be born by the end of the 2Q of this year, and promoting those distros.

They idea that the Red Hat could take this HUGE Community and turn us into a Huge Red Hat Army of unpaid RHEL Pre-release bug testers by forcing us to use "CentOS Streams" -- maybe more properly called "CentOS Screams" -- is probably DOA. Yes there are probably some people -- probably refuseniks from the Fedora Project who have decided they've had enough of living on the "Bleeding Edge" -- who might dabble in the CentOS Streams, before they move on.

ATTENTION RED HAT SHOPPERS: Clean Up on aisle 8 needed urgently!!

sml

Post by sml » 2021/01/21 09:16:59

desertcat wrote:
2021/01/21 06:23:52
Red Hat suddenly realized
Why suddenly? From the blog post by Chris Wright that started it all:
Chis Wright wrote:
2020/12/08 12:00:00
In the first half of 2021, we plan to introduce low- or no-cost programs for a variety of use cases, including options for open source projects and communities and expansion of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Developer subscription use cases to better serve the needs of systems administrators. We’ll share more details as these initiatives coalesce.