A bit confused about running Centos Core via Cockpit - and Virtualmin on top of that...

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
SecCon

A bit confused about running Centos Core via Cockpit - and Virtualmin on top of that...

Post by SecCon » 2020/10/27 07:18:24

I have two excellent identical servers on which I have installed Centos 8 Core and handle them via Cockpit.

This is intended because I want a web interface to the servers. Cockpit is not exhaustive but gives me said web interface and some basic storage and network management, aside from a terminal. Yet, I could use more things in Centos, more monitoring options, hardware information and other things I now either only have limited access to or not at all.

On top of this I run Virtualmin, which has a lot of that via Webmin, so I wonder, if I have that installed, do I really need Cockpit? It is not like Virtualmin is running on top of Cockpit, I think it is running parallell to Cockpit. Cockpit was activated when installing Centos but having Virtualmin I guess I can uninstall Cockpit, granted Cockpits Terminal is better than Virtualmin's.

OS Layers. I guess I am not making a lot of sense. Maybe it is obvious that if Virtualmin is installed I can throw out Cockpit...

What I ultimately are using this for is hosted development web sites, monitoring and a sftp server for online backup, among other things...all on a local SOHO.
Windows SysOp - Linux wannabe > CentOS newb.

SecCon

Re: A bit confused about running Centos Core via Cockpit - and Virtualmin on top of that...

Post by SecCon » 2020/10/29 11:00:34

So I am the only one with these questions?

jlehtone

Re: A bit confused about running Centos Core via Cockpit - and Virtualmin on top of that...

Post by jlehtone » 2020/10/29 12:13:52

IMHO, CLI is very effective compared to clickety clack GUI crap. I saw that CentOS 8 has Cockpit and immediately chose that it is a bridge that I will not cross before absolutely necessary. The "*min" names I might have seen, but feel that that is already too much exposure. Then again, I might be alone with my views.

MartinR

Post by MartinR » 2020/10/29 13:03:56

Are Virtualmin and Webmin panel systems? Some panel systems modify the underlying CentOS system and so cannot be supported in this forum. Trevor will be able to give a definitive answer.

SecCon

Post by SecCon » 2020/10/29 13:37:00

jlehtone wrote:
2020/10/29 12:13:52
IMHO, CLI is very effective compared to clickety clack GUI crap. I saw that CentOS 8 has Cockpit and immediately chose that it is a bridge that I will not cross before absolutely necessary. The "*min" names I might have seen, but feel that that is already too much exposure. Then again, I might be alone with my views.
Thanks.

Well, while using CLI I will not cross over to SSH to access the server. I can configure Webmin - maybe Cockpit too - for remote access outside my lan via dynamic dns lookup using 2FA and that is IMHO the way to go for me and safe enough for now...
MartinR wrote:
2020/10/29 13:03:56
Are Virtualmin and Webmin panel systems? Some panel systems modify the underlying CentOS system and so cannot be supported in this forum. Trevor will be able to give a definitive answer.
TBH I don't know what you mean by Panel Systems, sure they might be, but I am not familiar with that term...

Screenie...

More screenie:

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/10/29 16:06:55

We do not support any panel systems at all. Both webmin and virtualmin fit that though webmin should not do anything nasty, we just don't support it so if you have problems with it then you need to ask webmin about it. I believe virtualmin is not so friendly and is even less supported here than webmin is.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

SecCon

Post by SecCon » 2020/10/29 17:48:42

I get that Trevor, and thanks for the reply, but the base system is still CentOS, what I do there affects the system and I will not be accessing CentOS as such in any other way so I can imagine two scenarios.

I install "something" via Webmin, and Webmin won't support me becasue they consider it a OS issue, and CentOS won't support me becasue they consider it a Webmin issue? See the potential problem here...? :?

As I do not currently have any issue the reasoning might be moot, for now, but it will most likely eventually happen.