Does CentOS utilize the /tmp directory a lot when doing upgrades?

General support questions
phil.e

Does CentOS utilize the /tmp directory a lot when doing upgrades?

Post by phil.e » 2020/09/03 16:04:32

This is kind of a high level question

I've often found when doing version upgrades in CentOS 7, i.e. like when going from CentOS 7.6 to 7.7, or from 7.7 to 7.8, the updated system often becomes flaky and unstable. I've posted questions on this forum before when it happens, but I suspect because the issues are kind of vague and idiosyncratic, nobody has been able to suggest what the problem might be.

One thought occurred to me - one of the required security settings we have to implement is to set the noxec, nosuid, and nodev options when mounting the /tmp drive. During an upgrade is the operating system using the /tmp drive a lot as its doing the upgrade? Which, if the operating systems is assuming it has certain privileges/rights on the /tmp drive and it actually doesn't, would lead to things not installing correctly?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Does CentOS utilize the /tmp directory a lot when doing upgrades?

Post by TrevorH » 2020/09/03 17:13:57

You would see error messages in the yum update output if anything went wrong.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

phil.e

Re: Does CentOS utilize the /tmp directory a lot when doing upgrades?

Post by phil.e » 2020/09/03 21:09:25

Ok, thanks for the input.

I had a bunch of CentOS 6 systems that never had the same kind of issues upgrading from version number to version number, but the partitioning scheme on those didn't have /tmp on its own separate partition. I thought maybe I'd found the missing link, but maybe not.