Broadcomm BCM57780 network card RECOGNIZED in 64 bit, not in 32 bit

Issues related to hardware problems
taylorkh

Broadcomm BCM57780 network card RECOGNIZED in 64 bit, not in 32 bit

Post by taylorkh » 2011/07/13 13:13:34

I am taking the liberty to start a new thread on this subject as the [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=32076&forum=57]original one[/url] went down I think the wrong road. To recap:

PC: Dell Studio XPS 8000 desktop with i7-860 CPU, 8 GB RAM, ATI Radeon video and the referenced on board Broadcom NIC
Issue: Apparently successful install of CentOS 6 32 bit but no network connectivity. nm-config applet not displayed

Among my other tests I installed an old D-Link NIC in the PC. CentOS 6 - 32 bit did not detect it either. I installed the D-Link card in another PC, Dell Dimension 4600, installed CentOS 6 - 32 bit and both the D-Link and the on board (Intel?) NICs were detected and work fine. This shows me that CentOS 6 - 32 bit has the necessary drivers to talk to at least the D-Link NIC.

For my next trick I decided to try and install CentOS - 64 bit on the Studio XPS. It worked fine! The Broadcom NIC was detected and connected and the nm-applet displays and works as it should. Same with the D-Link NIC if I install it in the PC.

During the 64 bit install I noticed something... Early in the install process there is a screen which says "Please name this computer..." This screen also has a button titled "Configure Network". If I click on the button Network Manager is launched. I can see a default connection "System eth0". If I examine that connection I see the MAC address of the NIC. I have the opportunity to configure the connection "[X] Connect automatically."

I went back to the 32 bit install and worked my way to the "Please name this computer..." screen. The "Configure Network" button is GRAYED OUT! It appears that at this early point in the install process the 32 bit installer has failed to lay hands on the NIC. Continuing along this line I tried the Broadcom and the D-Link installed and the D-Link installed with the Broadcom disabled in BIOS. In all cases I was not able to access "Configure Network."

On the Dimension 4600 the 32 bit install presents me with the "Configure Network" option. I tried it on my Dell Latitude 2100 netbook with 2 Broadcom NICS (wired and WiFi) and I can access "Configure Network" and see one of the NICs. The MAC indicates that it is the hard wired NIC.

This leads me to the conclusion that I am fighting a hardware issue on the Studio XPS.

I have pulled down the net install images and will burn them and see if they detect the NIC on this PC. If they don't, it would seem to make a network install somewhat problematic :-? I will report back shortly.

Ken
[Moderator edit: Added link to [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=32076&forum=57]Broadcomm BCM57780 network card not recognized[/url] thread. See also yet another forked topic in [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=32119&forum=57]Broadcomm BCM57780 network card RECOGNIZED in 64 bit, not in 32 bit[/url].]

taylorkh

Re: Broadcomm BCM57780 network card RECOGNIZED in 64 bit, not in 32 bit

Post by taylorkh » 2011/07/13 13:46:55

Update:

Neither the 32 bit nor the 64 bit Net Install disks will work on the Studio XPS. I indicate that I want to do an install from an NFS or URL location and I am presented with a screen "No Driver Found" and asked to "Select a driver". I choose Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5706/5708/57... which seems to match or the Broadcom tg3 which was discussed in the earlier thread and I am simply taken to the "No Driver Found" screen again. There is also an option to "[ ] Specify optional module arguments" but I do not know, nor care to know, what they are.

So I have either a hardware oddity or an installer bug. I have reset the PC BIOS to default. I guess I can try disconnecting all power from the PC and popping the button battery to really clear everything back to factory default. I may try that and will again report back.

I may also discuss 32 bit vs. 64 bit over in the software or general forum before deciding to just go with the 64 bit.

Ken

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2011/07/13 14:16:17

Update 2:

I popped the button battery and reset everything to ground 0. So now:

the 32 bit install does not recognize the NIC
the 64 bit install does not recognize the NIC
the 64 bit installation I did last night does not recognize the NIC

Does anyone want to buy a Dell XPS Studio cheap before I put 6 rounds of buck shot through it?

Ken

p.s. It still runs Ubuntu just fine(?)

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2011/07/13 16:35:45

Update 3:

I think I was working too late last night. Between complete installs and partial installs on different machines with different hard drives - DVDs, notes, hard drives and other debris scattered all over the place... I am not sure I actually installed the 64 bit version with only the Broadcom NIC in the PC.

So for my next trick... I found another NIC in my junk box labeled Belkin (the D-Link being installed in the Dimension PC at the moment). I stuck the Belkin INC in the Studio, disabled the Broadcom NIC in BIOS and installed the 64 bit version just fine. I installed the 156 available updates and took a snapshot with g4l. I then enabled Broadcom NIC in BIOS. I am now up and running with both NICs working. And then I disabled the Belkin NIC and I am posting this through the Broadcom NIC. I guess I will now pull the Belkin NIC as the final test.

I miss my Osborne. I did not have these problems with CP/M :-D

Ken

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2011/07/13 17:19:19

Update 4:

I pulled the Belking NIC. When I booted up the PC and hit Esc to kill the splash screen and see what was going on (thanks again hawaiian717 for that tip!) I saw an error message to the effect "...could not get IP address...eth0...device seems not to be present...will activate later". The PC came up fine otherwise and I logged in with my regular account. I had connectivity through the Broadcom card. I right clicked on the nm-applet and selected Edit Connections. I removed "System eth0" which had the MAC address of the Belkin card. I then rebooted the PC. No errors on boot and proper connectivity through the Broadcom card.

To drive this thing into the ground I guess I need to try installing the 64 bit version with the Broadcom NIC only and see if it will recognize the card later on in the install/reboot sequence. That did NOT work with the 32 bit version which is how I got wrapped around the axle on this in the first place.

Ken

p.s. Maybe I should just install Linux Mint :lol:

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Broadcomm BCM57780 network card RECOGNIZED in 64 bit, not in

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/15 14:35:52

Maybe you should close out existing threads rather than repeatedly starting new ones on the same issue.