configure network interface under chroot

Issues related to configuring your network
warron.french

configure network interface under chroot

Post by warron.french » 2020/07/31 02:46:51

Because of the quick release of "Boot Hole" security patches for the kernel and other related packages I am in a situation where I need to reboot into Troubleshooting mode and mount /mnt/sysimage, configure the wlo1 (wireless networkk interface) under chroot.

There are no instructions to be found for configuring a network interface under chroot.

So can someone please provide all of the steps required to recover the OS due to the "Boot Hole" patches by yum undo, I cannot afford to lose some corporate data (I was wrong in my other post) on the laptop running CentOS 8 that I updated today - Thu, 30 JUL 2020 at roughly 700pm.

Thank you for the ordered steps.
Thanks,
War

jlehtone

Re: configure network interface under chroot

Post by jlehtone » 2020/07/31 08:47:25

Do you really have to config network in the chroot?

Doesn't the rescue OS config start/allow starting connections before you enter the chroot?

warron.french

Post by warron.french » 2020/07/31 17:35:56

Well, let me tell you this.

Since I have started running CentOS 8 on bare metal, I have never seen a machine that required two reboots to recover networking after every even-numbered reboot. Weird right?

Anyway, when I rebooted into Troubleshooting/Rescue Mode my machine did not come up with an IP address. I am pretty sure that executing a yum undo still requires networking to reach out to the repositories successfully to re-implement the prior packages. Or am I incorrect?

I want to recover this laptop like the patches were never applied at all and maybe wait another week to attempt to update again.

What advice do you have?

Thank jlehtone,
Thanks,
War

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/07/31 18:16:04

The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke