Install RHEL/CentOS 7 on Antiquated Hardware RAID

Issues related to hardware problems
pakovanjupv

Install RHEL/CentOS 7 on Antiquated Hardware RAID

Post by pakovanjupv » 2020/06/18 09:01:23

I'm attempting to install RHEL7 on an old HP ProLiant DL585 G2 server. I boot into the installer through optical media and everything loads correctly as far as I can tell, however the installer does not detect a disk. I suspect this is because the server is using an HP SmartArray P400 hardware raid controller, and the installer doesn't have a driver.

Apparently support for these old drivers (CCISS) was discontinued in favor of newer drivers (hpsa) which do not support the P400. This page links to a sourceforge with various drivers as a possible solution, but I'm unsure how to proceed from there, or if it's possible at all. I'm fairly inexperienced even using Linux, let alone administration. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Other Considerations

I'm trying to mimic an offsite environment that our code will be running on later. The install disk was given to us by the admins of the other environment, and has all the packages they are running. Communication is practically nonexistent, and we don't have much time to access the other environment once our window starts, so working out the kinks now is preferable.

That said, installing an older version of RHEL defeats our purposes. Currently this server is running CentOS 6.9, which I installed without any issues.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Install RHEL/CentOS 7 on Antiquated Hardware RAID

Post by TrevorH » 2020/06/18 09:17:02

There are several threads here about how to install on systems with a P400 RAID controller, either using kmod-cciss from ELRepo on a Driver Update Disk or by using hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke