Rich rule is added with "success" but does not shown eventually in the configuration

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
eitancaspi

Rich rule is added with "success" but does not shown eventually in the configuration

Post by eitancaspi » 2020/05/11 13:48:56

Hi,

I use latest CentOS 7 and latest Firewalld.

I have a strange situation where when I add a rich rule, the OS shows "success", I reload firewalld, but then rule is missing when I run "firewall-cmd --info-zone=public"... it is also not found at the relevant zone file (public.xml).

The rule is as follows (only IP values were changed for security):

It is a rule to allow specific list of 4 public internet subnet objects as the source (e.g. 4.4.4.4/26 and 5.5.5.5/26), represented as an ipset object, to access to my server (it is the destination, also a public IP), only to port 465 TCP - all of this - in the public zone (my default zone and only one with rules):

firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-rich-rule='rule family="ipv4" source ipset="ipset.name" destination address="1.2.3.4" port port="465" protocol="tcp" log level="info" accept'

The same happens even if I use one specific subnet as the source, not using an ipset:

firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-rich-rule='rule family="ipv4" source address="4.4.4.4/26" destination address="1.2.3.4" port port="465" protocol="tcp" log level="info" accept'

Adding totally different rule, similar to one that I already have at the same zone - works fine - after reload it shows as part of the zone's configuration:

Allowing outbound traffic from my server to one specific internet address, without limit to any specific port:

firewall-cmd --zone=public --permanent --add-rich-rule='rule family=ipv4 source address=1.2.3.4/32 destination address=6.6.6.6 protocol value="tcp" log level="info" accept'

Does anyone have an idea how can I solve this?

Thanks.

Thraex

Re: Rich rule is added with "success" but does not shown eventually in the configuration

Post by Thraex » 2020/05/11 14:08:59

Only the last of your firewall-cmd commands has the --permanent option. If you don't specify this, then the rule will go away when you run firewall-cmd --reload or systemctl restart firewalld. Is that what you're running into?

eitancaspi

Re: Rich rule is added with "success" but does not shown eventually in the configuration

Post by eitancaspi » 2020/05/11 14:14:04

Thanks Thraex!

I feel so stupid!... :(

I had some much trouble finding the correct syntax to mention a destination port that when finally I found the correct way - I forgot to add the permanent directive... I need a vacation...

Yes, of course, now it works...

Thanks!