lshtp-ish timed out

Issues related to hardware problems
someotherguy

Re: lshtp-ish timed out

Post by someotherguy » 2020/04/22 21:35:30

TrevorH wrote:
2020/04/22 20:07:38
When you first get to emergency mode, use Shift-PgUp to scroll back up the messages that came out before you got there. The error(s) will be listed there.
Hitting Shift-PgUp when I first get to the emergency mode screen does absolutely nothing. Hitting Shift-PgUp after logging in as root to get into maintenance mode does nothing there either.

Some additional information: With the SCSI adapter card installed, during the bootup process, before the screen where you select which vintage of Centos you want to run, a message appears showing the Adaptec AHA 2930CU and mentioning a BIOS version. I did a search to see if there was a more recent BIOS version available. Apparently it is not flashable on that particular card. However I did come across a procedure for entering the Adaptec BIOS by pressing control-A while the message is displayed. I also learned that the Adaptec BIOS essentially hijacks the boot up procedure, which would make sense if the operating system was on a SCSI hard drive attached to that controller. There is an option in the Adaptec BIOS for disabling it if that is not the case. I subsequently went in and disabled essentially all the options there. I then powered down the server, cleared the motherboard CMOS, and brought it all back up. I was really hopeful the problem was fixed, but no joy. I guess I should not have been surprised in view of the fact that pulling the card from the system didn't reverse the problem either.

aks

Post by aks » 2020/04/23 17:40:13

Firmware, as in the 1st diagram SH Hardware/Firmware(FW)

someotherguy

Post by someotherguy » 2020/04/23 20:37:44

aks wrote:
2020/04/23 17:40:13
Firmware, as in the 1st diagram SH Hardware/Firmware(FW)
I see it now, thanks. Looking up the definition of firmware, it says "permanent software programmed into read-only memory".
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ ... h-hid.html is still mostly Greek to me. Does it imply that perhaps the problem is due to the contents of some read-only chip on the motherboard becoming corrupted somehow?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/04/23 23:25:19

Try removing 'rhgb' and 'quiet' from your kernel command line by editing it at the grub prompt. The Shift-PgUp back up the output when it reaches emergency mode.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

someotherguy

Post by someotherguy » 2020/04/24 21:49:30

TrevorH wrote:
2020/04/23 23:25:19
Try removing 'rhgb' and 'quiet' from your kernel command line by editing it at the grub prompt. The Shift-PgUp back up the output when it reaches emergency mode.
Starting from the top, lines containing red font are as follows (parts of line in red are underlined)"
Welcome to Linux Centos 7 Core!
[ *** ] (2 of 5 ) A start job is running for ... an on device 8:2 ( 7sec / no limit) [22.1105021] XFS (sda1) : Ending clean mount
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev/di...y\x2dlabel-datapartition.device
[DEPEND Dependency failed for /mnt/data.
[DEPEND Dependency failed for Local File systems.
[DEPEND Dependency failed for Migrate local... structure to the new structure.
[DEPEND Dependency failed for Mark the need to relabel after boot.
[DEPEND Dependency failed for Relabel all filesystems (if necessary).
[DEPEND Dependency failed for NFS server and services).
[DEPEND Dependency failed for NFS server and services).
[DEPEND Dependency failed for NFSv4 ID name mapping service).
[DEPEND Dependency failed for NFS Mount Daemon).
[DEPEND Dependency failed for File system C...dev/disk/by-label/datapartition).
By way of explanation, lines above consisting of a dot indicate the existence of multiple lines not containing any red text. If you need to know what any of these lines are in order to put the lines containing red in context, please let me know. The presence of 3 dots within a line were as they appeared on the console. Also, I doubt that it matters but just so you know, I initially tried to set up file sharing over my network using NFS but was unsuccessful, and eventually abandoned these efforts in favor of Samba

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/04/25 00:43:49

That's telling you that your /mnt/data filesystem did not mount.
Use the FAQ Luke

someotherguy

Post by someotherguy » 2020/04/25 17:26:02

TrevorH wrote:
2020/04/25 00:43:49
That's telling you that your /mnt/data filesystem did not mount.
OK. That raises the question: how do I fix it?

[root@localhost ~] # mount /mnt/data
mount: can't find LABEL=datapartition

[root@localhost ~] # lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 335.4G 0 disk
|--sda1 8:1 0 1G 0 part / boot
|--sda2 8:2 0 334.4G 0 part
|-centos-root 253:0 0 50G 0 lvm /
|-centos-swap 253:1 0 15.6G 0 lvm [SWAP]
|-centos-home 253.2 0 268.7G 0 lvm /home
sdb 8:16 0 3.7T 0 disk
sdc 8:32 0 3.7T 0 disk
sdd 8:48 0 3.7T 0 disk
sde 8:64 0 3.7T 0 disk
sr0 11:0 1 102.4M 0 rom

My understanding of my system is that sda is the SSD, on which the OS is installed, sdb through sde are the 4 hard drives, and sro is the DVD drive. When I set up my system originally, I configured the 4 hard drives as a RAID10, where all my data would be stored. I'm not seeing anything about a RAID here. Should I be? I'm starting to suspect that Adaptec BIOS, when it hijacked the boot process, trashed my SATA RAID configuration in the assumption that there was, or would be, a SCSI RAID. I guess my next step is to refresh my memory how I set up the RAID originally, and if it has been lost, how to recreate/restore it, hopefully without losing the existing data on it.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/04/25 17:30:08

What sort of RAID is/was it? How did you set it up? Is it linux software RAID?
Use the FAQ Luke

someotherguy

Post by someotherguy » 2020/04/25 19:19:39

TrevorH wrote:
2020/04/25 17:30:08
What sort of RAID is/was it? How did you set it up? Is it linux software RAID?
I was not sure, so I went into the motherboard manual and worked through all the BIOS options.

Digressing for a moment: when the problem first appeared after installing the Adaptec card I checked the Supermicro web page, and the first thing they recommend when experiencing problems is to ensure that the IPMI firmware (the mode I was using to communicate with the server) and the BIOS were the latest versions. Mine weren't, so I followed the instructions there to update them. After updating the BIOS I followed their procedure which is apparently intended to restore your original BIOS settings.

When I worked through the BIOS settings today I found that the SATA mode was AHCI rather than RAID. I set it to RAID, rebooted, and it's all good. The only thing not working is that I can't reach he server by IPMI, but Putty works, and I can access my Quicken data file, my desktop backups, etc.

Thanks ever so much for your help and patience in tracking this down