Booting stuck at progress bar after custom partitioning during installation

General support questions
draganasyss

Booting stuck at progress bar after custom partitioning during installation

Post by draganasyss » 2020/04/08 18:48:56

Hey

I'm trying to install CentOS 6.9 on VMware Workstation 15 Pro with custom layout.
One partition ext4 and mount point /boot with 500MB checked to be primary partition, and second partition ext and mount point / with left space of around 20GB also checked to be primary partition. On the reboot after the installation process is finished, booting is stuck on the beginning of the progress bar, I tried to see what is happening in the background.

The last 3 lines are:

Code: Select all

EXT4-fs (sda2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: 
dracut: Mounted root filesystem /dev/sda2
dracut: Loading SELinux policy
This same is tried on Virtual Box 6.0.6 with the same result and also tried on VMware ESXi 5.5.0 and boots successfully.

I'am happy to provide additional information if needed.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Booting stuck at progress bar after custom partitioning during installation

Post by TrevorH » 2020/04/08 20:01:53

CentOS 6.9 is not supported. use 6.10. And really, don't use 6 at all for new installs, it's pointless as it dies in November this year so you'll just have to do it all over again in 6 months anyway.

Remove rhgb quiet from the kernel command line and see if it tells you what's wrong. Bu mostly, don't use 6 at all.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

draganasyss

Re: Booting stuck at progress bar after custom partitioning during installation

Post by draganasyss » 2020/04/08 22:25:40

We are migrating to CentOS7 this year, I just needed to reproduce a client environment.
I found that SElinux policy failed to load so after searching for a while I fixed it with:

Code: Select all

yum remove selinux-policy
yum install selinux-policy
Also tried on CentOS 6.10 the issue is still present on VirtualBox and VMware Workstation.

We had the same issue with CentOS 7 and we fixed it by changing a datastore from different manufacturer.
I'm interested in the technical details behind this issue, what is the most possible reason for this to happen?