CentOS 8 STREAM : Install Issues, [Black Screen]

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
JON_LUIS

CentOS 8 STREAM : Install Issues, [Black Screen]

Post by JON_LUIS » 2020/03/22 19:21:13

Good Day Everyone,

I am currently having extreme difficulty, installing CentOS 8 STREAM, on my Star Labs MK II Lite. I’m green behind the ears when it comes to Linux, and purchased this laptop as it comes pre-installed with UBUNTU, which I believed was a great way to start things off on my Linux journey initially.

Unfortunately, I am currently stuck. I’ve been online trying to find a way to install CentOS and completely remove UBUNTU as my primary Distro. I solely would like CentOS and have no interest in a Dual Boot, Multiboot Scenario.

Currently, I have used the Disk Writer on UBUNTU, to make a USB Drive for CentOS, and have even tried the UNETBOOTIN option. Both have given me no luck, as when I boot from the GRUB, and INSTALL CentOS 8, I receive a black screen with no activity, no GUI, etc. Even went and tried the Basic Graphics option in TROUBLESHOOTING, Nothing...

I could use some serious expert help as soon as possible.

Thank you all!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS 8 STREAM : Install Issues, [Black Screen]

Post by TrevorH » 2020/03/22 19:29:48

Start by recreating that USB stick again and this time, do not use the Ubuntu utiltity as I am not sure that it does the right thing. I know for sure that unetbootin does not and will _break_ our iso images as it transfers them. It's firmly on the do-not-use list if you look at the wiki article linked to from my SIG below.

Use good old dd instead: something like dd if=/path/to/our.iso of=/dev/sdX where /dev/sdX is the device name of your USB stick (be doubly or triply sure that it is correct before you run that). That needs to be run as root.

It's unclear if you meant hat you get a blank screen within the installer or you were able to do the install and then the subsequent reboot leads to a blank screen.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

JON_LUIS

Post by JON_LUIS » 2020/03/23 00:51:49

Thanks for the Response!

In regards to your question, I wasn’t able to even start the Installer. I will however make another attempt at the USB w/DD.

I will update this post when I have tried. Thanks again friend.

JON_LUIS

Post by JON_LUIS » 2020/03/26 05:50:53

TrevorH wrote:
2020/03/22 19:29:48
Start by recreating that USB stick again and this time, do not use the Ubuntu utiltity as I am not sure that it does the right thing. I know for sure that unetbootin does not and will _break_ our iso images as it transfers them. It's firmly on the do-not-use list if you look at the wiki article linked to from my SIG below.

Use good old dd instead: something like dd if=/path/to/our.iso of=/dev/sdX where /dev/sdX is the device name of your USB stick (be doubly or triply sure that it is correct before you run that). That needs to be run as root.

It's unclear if you meant hat you get a blank screen within the installer or you were able to do the install and then the subsequent reboot leads to a blank screen.
Hey Trevor,

I ran the dd, the way you had listed it, but I wasn’t successful. When I had ran the command, nothing happened. Please hang in there with me as I’m extremely new to all this.

If possible could you provide me a few more, detailed steps, to help me get things going.

Thanks a million!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/03/26 10:32:03

Did you amend the dd command to change /path/to/our.iso and /dev/sdX to point to the correct device? You need to be very sure that /dev/sdX is the right device for your USB stick or it will overwrite something else and you will lose all the data on that. You also need to run dd as root in order to have permission to write to whatever /dev/sdX will be (that device as typed will not exist which is why I chose it as an example).
Use the FAQ Luke

JON_LUIS

Post by JON_LUIS » 2020/03/26 20:26:08

TrevorH wrote:
2020/03/26 10:32:03
Did you amend the dd command to change /path/to/our.iso and /dev/sdX to point to the correct device? You need to be very sure that /dev/sdX is the right device for your USB stick or it will overwrite something else and you will lose all the data on that. You also need to run dd as root in order to have permission to write to whatever /dev/sdX will be (that device as typed will not exist which is why I chose it as an example).
Yes, I amended the command to the exact path of my CentOS Iso. Then ran under the root user and chose device /dev/sdb, which is my USBKEY. If you think it would make a difference, I could enter as /dev/sdb1.

Any thoughts?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/03/26 20:36:16

You should have seen some output from dd if it worked. You'd have seen some if it hadn't worked too. If it did nothing and the command prompt returned without saying anything then I am not sure what happened but it doesn't sound right. And no, you don't want /dev/sdb1 which would be a partition on /dev/sdb, you want the entire device.
Use the FAQ Luke

JON_LUIS

Post by JON_LUIS » 2020/03/27 06:24:26

TrevorH wrote:
2020/03/26 20:36:16
You should have seen some output from dd if it worked. You'd have seen some if it hadn't worked too. If it did nothing and the command prompt returned without saying anything then I am not sure what happened but it doesn't sound right. And no, you don't want /dev/sdb1 which would be a partition on /dev/sdb, you want the entire device.
UPDATE:

So i continued to play around with the usb key, and set the format to universal (FAT).
Then when I entered the GRUB I went to "INSTALL CentOS STREAM 8-Stream".
At the point I received the following errors:

error: ../../grub-core/fs/fshelp.c:258:file `/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz' not found
error: ../../grub-core/loader/i386/efi/linux.c:93: you need to load the kernel first.

Any way we can proceed after this?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/03/27 09:54:57

If that's what you get when you boot from the USB stick then it is corrupted. Start by using the sha256sum command to get a checksum of the iso image file that you have downloaded and then check that against the list that we publish in the CentOS Stream release notes. If it doesn't match then your download is corrupt and you need to redownload it until it does match. If it does match then it sounds like your USB stick is bad and you should try a different one.
Use the FAQ Luke

JON_LUIS

[SOLVED] CentOS 8 STREAM : Install Issues, [Black Screen]

Post by JON_LUIS » 2020/03/29 21:51:18

TrevorH wrote:
2020/03/27 09:54:57
If that's what you get when you boot from the USB stick then it is corrupted. Start by using the sha256sum command to get a checksum of the iso image file that you have downloaded and then check that against the list that we publish in the CentOS Stream release notes. If it doesn't match then your download is corrupt and you need to redownload it until it does match. If it does match then it sounds like your USB stick is bad and you should try a different one.
Re’Stared, Re’Downloaded, and uploaded to USB.

I then went to the Phoenix-Bios & Booted the USB and was able to launch the installer successfully. Thanks for all your help & Support!