Unknown keysym name: - trying to install software supported on Redhat 4 and 5 on CentOS 6

General support questions
DrDave

Unknown keysym name: - trying to install software supported on Redhat 4 and 5 on CentOS 6

Post by DrDave » 2020/03/24 18:15:23

I'm trying to install an old version (14) of a commercial program (HFSS) on an IBM X3650 M4 server. The software is supported on Redhat 4 and 5, as well as a couple of Suse versions. It is not supported on Redhat 6, but I was hoping I might get away with installing it on 6, rather than 5.

The installation guide for HFSS is here

https://groups.io/g/HFSS/files/Installa ... -Linux.pdf

The installer is saying it can't be installed in graphical mode, and to run "install -console". That is not working. Anyway, I think its fair to say if the installer will not run in graphical mode, nor will the program, so I have not persisted trying to get the installer to work as a text-based version.

Trying to run the GUI installer I see tons of messages, which I assume are going to stderr.
$ ./install
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfActivate
Warning: ... found while parsing ':<Key>osfActivate: ManagerParentActivate()'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfBeginLine
Warning: ... found while parsing ':<Key>osfBeginLine: ManagerGadgetTraverseHome()'
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfHelp
Warning: ... found while parsing ':<Key>osfHelp: ManagerGadgetHelp()'

Googling around I found this

https://answers.sap.com/questions/10816 ... el-60.html

which is about someone trying to install Oracle - not the same program as me, but they are getting similar error messages. They were told that the version of Oracle they have is not supported. Well, I have a similar problem - I'm trying to use something I know is not supported, but hoping it can be made to work.

This link says
http://www.parallelgeo.com/download/spw ... utions.txt
The openmotif development libraries with which SPW is built require the file:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB

On many of the recent Linux distros, the path to the XKeysymDB file is different.

The suggestion there of creating does not work, as the directory does not exist.

Is there any command that I can use that will allow me to see what file(s) this program tries to open? Perhaps it is looking for something, and it only needs a symbolic link made, but I don't know where it's looking.

Any other ideas? Going back to CentOs 5 is the easy way out.

Whoever

Re: Unknown keysym name: - trying to install software supported on Redhat 4 and 5 on CentOS 6

Post by Whoever » 2020/03/25 20:36:34

I suggest that you see if it is supported on a current version of SUSE. That is likely to be the path of least resistance.

DrDave

Re: Unknown keysym name: - trying to install software supported on Redhat 4 and 5 on CentOS 6

Post by DrDave » 2020/03/25 21:27:57

The software is supported on Redhat 4 & 5. I forget what The current version of Suse would not have existed when the software was released.

The path of least resistance will be to install CentOS 5, but I would rather update to a more modern OS if possible.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/03/25 23:18:28

Or get a recent version of it that _is_ supported on a recent o/s.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Whoever

Post by Whoever » 2020/03/26 05:57:01

TrevorH wrote:
2020/03/25 23:18:28
That presumably involves spending money, which the original poster probably trying to avoid.

DrDave

Post by DrDave » 2020/03/26 09:30:33

TrevorH wrote:
2020/03/25 23:18:28
The cost of the software is out of my budget. I believe it is around 200x the cost of the used server I just bought to run it on.