Two DVD install help

General support questions
zrcentlog

Two DVD install help

Post by zrcentlog » 2020/01/13 17:18:26

I'm needing a little help figuring out what route to take. Our custom distro has grown beyond the Dual-layer DVD size to 8.8GB.
I think the answer is to have anaconda prompt for a second dvd to install the remaining RPMs but I cannot find instructions for doing this.
TIA

desertcat

Re: Two DVD install help

Post by desertcat » 2020/01/14 02:56:27

zrcentlog wrote:
2020/01/13 17:18:26
I'm needing a little help figuring out what route to take. Our custom distro has grown beyond the Dual-layer DVD size to 8.8GB.
I think the answer is to have anaconda prompt for a second dvd to install the remaining RPMs but I cannot find instructions for doing this.
TIA
Hummmmm. Is there any reason you can't put it on a thumb drive? Then all you have to do is set the BIOS boot sequence to first check to see if there is a CD/DVD installed, then to check to see if there is a USB thumbdrive, and then finally to boot from the hard drive. Then you will have more than enough space for the current version of your "custom" distro and room for future growth.

Alternate plan -- depending on how specific this "custom" distro is suppose to be is to a minimal install with some instructions in there to 1) Start konsole 2) Become root 3) To install other software to run the commands yum grouplist which will then all the groups of software followed by yum groupinstall "[name-of-group]", which will then go out and install and install the various programs and their dependencies and sub-depenencies.
EX.: yum groupinstall "LXQt Desktop"

As an aside the "LXQt Dessktop" seems to be something NEW -- In writing this post I did just as I suggested: I ran yum grouplist, and saw what appeared to be a NEW DE (LXQt Desktop) and then ran yum groupinstall "LXQt Desktop". I have now installed a new DE to play with!!

Hope this helps.

zrcentlog

Re: Two DVD install help

Post by zrcentlog » 2020/01/15 19:30:41

99% of the time the install will be done by PXE or USB but I still need to support the DVD install. Eventually we will be cleaning up old unused RPMs but in the mean time would like to be able to do something like Suse and Debian variants where you are able to pick what "flavor" of install is needed. Server, Desktop, HPC, etc.