Snapshotting local filesystem with BTRFS filesystem and Timeshift

Issues related to applications and software problems
tony_down_under
Location: Perth, Australia but originally from Carshalton, Surrey

Snapshotting local filesystem with BTRFS filesystem and Timeshift

Post by tony_down_under » 2020/01/09 09:01:08

I've had a play with snapshots on a Debian-based system and like it a lot. I think this is what our SAN is using in the backend for zero-byte clones and snapshots.

I'd like to test the same on CentOS 7. I have installed CentOS 7 onto a BTRFS filesystem however I am unable to use the snapshotting as it complains that I didnt organise the filesystem properly.

Is it possible to freshly install CentOS 7, with LUKS onto BTRFS so that snapshots work? Or do I need to do further config once the system has booted? The error I get is that the filesystem is not in a subvolume. I've tried to google for help with this but I dont understand the information out there.
ref:
http://www.winglemeyer.org/fedora_docs_ ... Btrfs.html
https://dustymabe.com/2019/12/29/fedora ... 1-edition/

What I done in Anaconda was create 3x partitions. 2 of these are /boot and /boot/efi which are not part of btrfs.
Then the 3rd partition is / and is btrfs (I'll have a /swapfile) and the OS and files are going to the btrfs partition at /

The system runs fine except snapshots are not allowing me to take them. I dont understand what I missed, can anyone shed any light?
Last edited by tony_down_under on 2020/01/10 01:23:18, edited 1 time in total.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Snapshotting local filesystem with BTRFS filesystem and Timeshift

Post by TrevorH » 2020/01/09 18:47:21

BTRFS is deprecated on CentOS and should not be used. It's still present in CentOS 7 but has not received any updates since 2017. It was never more than what's known as "Tech Preview" which is RedHat-speak for "beta".
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

KernelOops

Post by KernelOops » 2020/01/09 20:16:22

Rumour has it, that Redhat ditched btrfs due to political reasons (its mainly an Oracle/Facebook technology), instead Redhat put its weight in favour of other file systems like XFS.

But thats just a rumour... the truth is out there...
--
R.I.P. CentOS :cry:
--

tony_down_under
Location: Perth, Australia but originally from Carshalton, Surrey

Post by tony_down_under » 2020/01/10 01:18:44

That's a shame. It kind of goes against the Open Source ethos that Red Hat and other big tech companies are pushing of late. I was not expecting to see any kind of step backwards these days. Thanks for the heads up.

So with XFS can I achieve the same goal? Instant 0-byte snapshots and instant data restore on a laptop running CentOS? I dont really care too much about the specific tool(s) used, but snapshotting a laptop like I described above will be of so much use to me and others that I would like to implement it for testing.