Many ata1 and ata2 kernel issues reported

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Many ata1 and ata2 kernel issues reported

Post by TrevorH » 2019/11/01 16:45:36

Your printer issues are nothing to do with this or hardware. No idea how to fix it but it's purely a cups to cups problem.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

ralf

Post by ralf » 2019/11/01 18:17:32

Thanks Trevor!

I have now installed the same epson printer on my backup server running centos7. And it prints locally and from the others centos7 clients and the Mac !

ralf

Post by ralf » 2020/01/01 14:29:17

Hi again

Update on orginal SATA issue:
I replaced the motherboard for one of the same make and identical type (ASUS M5A97 Rev 2.0).
Unfortunately, the same SATA speed issues are present with this motherboard. To refresh your memory, I replaced SSD, SATA cables and motherboard.
Also of interest, I never had these SATA issues when running Centos7 on the same hardware/machine ! (with previous SSD disks though), so a Centos 8 issue cannot be excluded, yet ...
No other hardware can be replaced, so I need to conclude this either a software/Centos8 issue, or a hardware problem with this particular type of motherboard, as suggested by George99, earlier in this thread.

Any comments/suggestions? Is another type of motherboard the only solution, or is this a CENTOS 8 issue?

Thanks for reading and commenting.

ralf

Post by ralf » 2020/04/21 08:34:01

Well, well...

Yesterday I installed some fresh CentOS8 updates, among which the latest kernel and ssd packages.
I was interested to see if one of them had an influence on the 100's of daily error reports I have received in the lasts months, related to ata1 and ata2 kernel issues (see previous posts in this thread).

When checking the Logwatch report from last night, I am very happy to see that all error messages have disappeared after the package updates!!
So it was not a hardware issue after all, which I suspected before, as another motherboard didn't solve the issue.

Just wanted to let you know.

Thanks for reading.