Is there any desktop alternative to Gnome?

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
taylorkh

Re: Is there any desktop alternative to Gnome?

Post by taylorkh » 2019/10/01 12:56:48

I agree with you completely KernelOops. In my mind the "desktop interface" is just a way to start programs and access files. The first GUI OS I used was Windows NT 3.51. It used the concept of program groups on the desktop. In Linux these would be launchers to directories containing other launchers for a logical collection of programs. This got somewhat cluttered in Windows but with the multiple workspaces available in Linux... Might be practical.

The Windows "New Shell" enhancement was a cascading menu system which was already in use in some X environments. This was novel and handy when trying to locate an unfamiliar program or feature. However, when I KNOW what I want to launch I find poking around a cascading menu very tedious and inefficient. When Windows added the "quick launch" feature next to the Start button... I split my lower task bar into two rows and had about a dozen quick launch icons for my most used programs. When I first saw the "panel" in Gnome 2 I was in heaven. I still think that is one of the most brilliant and efficient interfaces ever devised.

On my current system I have on my left monitor a panel with the Applications:Places:System menu and 34 launchers/icons. They range from individual program launchers (e.g. Firefox) to a drawer with 7 virtual machine launchers to various file location launchers and a couple of scripts and text files which I use frequently. It does not take up much space on a 24" monitor. Combined with 6 workspaces it gives me a flexible efficient environment. To add further dimensions, one of the workspaces is dedicated to a virtual machine which runs multiple instances of Firefox each of which accesses a specific email account on Protonmail and which runs in its own workspace within the virtual machine. And then... my right monitor is dedicated to another virtual machine - always on the visible workspace - which I use for Thunderbird, Firefox and have two more workspaces to spare for occasional tasks. I would not even try to setup something this sophisticated in Gnome3.

Off my soapbox for now. Please tell me what is Red Hat's agenda for using Gnome3? I would be curious to know your opinion.

Ken

KernelOops

Post by KernelOops » 2019/10/01 14:26:56

I honestly don't know what is their agenda. I can only guess that some moron is a Mac enthusiast and has lots of power within the gnome foundation and/or redhat. All I know, is that this person did a lot of damage to Fedora user base, thousands left for other distros and eventually someone sane actually came up with the idea of Fedora Spins to get some users back to Fedora.

I'm hoping that most servers are GUI-less, so people won't notice the garbage UI of gnome 3 and won't leave CentOS.

I have a similar setup, lots of VM's split around workspaces in Cinnamon. I use a single UltraWide monitor, so as to avoid using two monitors.

PS:
A friend works for IBM and I asked him about Fedora and RHEL usage in their 12 developer + 2 devops team, he said "gnome3 was fine" but had no actual response as to why none of those 14 people actually used gnome3, even my friends desktop system was on xfce. Go figure...

I guess its fine when others are using it... hah
--
R.I.P. CentOS :cry:
--

nouvo09

Post by nouvo09 » 2019/10/01 16:14:38

KernelOops wrote:
2019/10/01 14:26:56
All I know, is that this person did a lot of damage to Fedora user base, thousands left for other distros and eventually someone sane actually came up with the idea of Fedora Spins to get some users back to Fedora.
That's right, I'm one of the firsts.

However as we can see, Xfce is already available for C8 and works fine. So instead of complaining, give a try and thank the guy who did it.
Member of centos-FR forum

sauron_le_noir

Post by sauron_le_noir » 2019/10/01 19:52:40

Big blue & os nos very good experience see the flop of os/2, the only main reason to buy the the redhat company is not for the os but for the know how of kubernete, micro service , they don't care about desktop, the intention is to make money immediatly

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2019/10/02 22:21:52

Mes plus sincères remerciements sauron_le_noir. L'installation de xfce a parfaitement fonctionné sur ma machine CentOS 8.

I hope google translate worked as well :D My language capability is limited to English, Fortran, xBase (dBase, FoxBase, FoxPro), SQL, Visual Basic and a little Spanish from high school MANY years ago.

Again, in English, my thanks for your hard work. I have not used xfce very much but I am sure I can figure it out much easier than I could figure out Gnome3.

Ken

gjakob

Post by gjakob » 2019/12/22 09:42:48

sauron_le_noir wrote:
2019/10/01 19:52:40
Big blue & os nos very good experience see the flop of os/2, the only main reason to buy the the redhat company is not for the os but for the know how of kubernete, micro service , they don't care about desktop, the intention is to make money immediatly
In fact, the market share of Linux on desktop computers is just around 2% without any significant growth anymore within the last decade, whereas it is the dominant OS on internet servers and especially on supercomputers. In addition, meanwhile the whole PC desktop market is continuously decreasing in favor of mobil devices running either Android or iOS.
So in view of this situation, it's no wonder at all that nowadays almost all profit-oriented Linux companies neglect the desktops in favor of developments relevant to the server and cloud market...

MartinR

Post by MartinR » 2019/12/23 23:39:02

However as we can see, Xfce is already available for C8 and works fine.

Code: Select all

# yum list xfce\*
Error: No matching Packages to list
# yum list Xfce\*
Error: No matching Packages to list

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/12/24 00:39:54

Enable epel-playground
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

MartinR

Post by MartinR » 2020/01/02 10:47:30

Thanks Trevor. I've been busy elsewhere and have just got around to installing it and testing.