Bind two 1Gbps Ethernet Ports and Run in Open vSwitch

Issues related to hardware problems
simon_lefisch

Bind two 1Gbps Ethernet Ports and Run in Open vSwitch

Post by simon_lefisch » 2019/11/16 23:16:36

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a dual-port ethernet PCI-e card and wanted to bind those 2 ports together for higher thru-put. However I'm not sure if I should bind them together then add it to Open vSwitch or I add the ports to Open vSwitch first then bind the 2 ports. I was thinking the former but wanted to see if anyone on here has done this before with Open vSwitch and what would be the best way to go about it. Any help/advice would be great.

Btw, I am running the latest CentOS 7 version and have Open vSwitch v2.9.2 and KVM installed. Thanks in advanced :mrgreen:
Hardware:
Supermicro X10SRi-F mobo
E5-2683v4 16-core CPU
112GB ECC RAM
2x 250GB SSD RAID1 (current CentOS 7 version)
2x 500GB SSD RAID1 (VM Disk Image Storage)
2x 4TB HDD RAID1 (Backup Storage via FreeNAS VM)
2X 6TB HDD RAID1 (Data Storage via FreeNAS VM)

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Bind two 1Gbps Ethernet Ports and Run in Open vSwitch

Post by TrevorH » 2019/11/17 11:58:28

What you're talking about is bonding or teaming. Your switch will need to support LACP for it to be most useful. But sadly, bonding doesn't necessarily do much for bandwidth since it's limited to running one tcp connection over one of the 2 links so unless you have more than 1 bandwidth heacy tcp connection, you will not see much improvement.

If you're after raw speed then looking at 10Gbps networking would be a much more reliable way to improve things.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

simon_lefisch

Re: Bind two 1Gbps Ethernet Ports and Run in Open vSwitch

Post by simon_lefisch » 2019/11/25 02:44:14

TrevorH wrote:
2019/11/17 11:58:28
What you're talking about is bonding or teaming. Your switch will need to support LACP for it to be most useful. But sadly, bonding doesn't necessarily do much for bandwidth since it's limited to running one tcp connection over one of the 2 links so unless you have more than 1 bandwidth heacy tcp connection, you will not see much improvement.

If you're after raw speed then looking at 10Gbps networking would be a much more reliable way to improve things.
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the response and sorry for my late response, been a crazy week. Anyway, no worries about the throughput. However I would still like to Bond the 2 NICs together. I was thinking of using Dynamic Link Aggregation (my switch does have that option), however I'm not sure what way I should set it up. Should I add the 2 NIC ports to Open vSwitch first then bond together (if that's possible, still learning about OVS), or should I bond them first in CentOS then add the bonded ports to OVS? Not sure if you have any experience with OVS, but any input you can give would be much appreciated....as always :mrgreen: Thanks again for all your help.
Hardware:
Supermicro X10SRi-F mobo
E5-2683v4 16-core CPU
112GB ECC RAM
2x 250GB SSD RAID1 (current CentOS 7 version)
2x 500GB SSD RAID1 (VM Disk Image Storage)
2x 4TB HDD RAID1 (Backup Storage via FreeNAS VM)
2X 6TB HDD RAID1 (Data Storage via FreeNAS VM)