Move SSD's with centos8 to other motherboard?

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
ralf

Move SSD's with centos8 to other motherboard?

Post by ralf » 2019/10/31 16:39:26

Hi,

I have a fresh install of centos8 on a server, but I suspect there might be somthing fishy with the motherboard. I have checked the disks with SMART drive tests and my RAM with MEMTEST86, without finding any errors.

I have many Printing issues (viewtopic.php?f=48&t=72277) and Kernel issues (viewtopic.php?f=54&t=72341 ), which could perhaps boild down to hardware issues with my centos8 server....
It could therefore be a motherboard issue, as there is nothing else left...

Can I use the same disks from my present Centos8 system and put them together with a new motherboard (of different type, but supporting SATA etc of course)? Isn't the BIOS taking care of the connection of the hardware with the OS, or am I making it too simple?

Any feedback is appreciated!!

/Ralf

hunter86_bg

Re: Move SDD's with centos8 to other motherboard?

Post by hunter86_bg » 2019/10/31 16:43:17

If you use old 'Legacy' style of booting - you can move your SSDs, then powerup and boot the last kernel in the grub menu, which has all kernel modules in the initramfs.
Once you do boot that kernel, just run

Code: Select all

dracut -f --regenerate-all 
and reboot to default (latest) kernel.

For UEFI, you might need to backup your UEFI variables , or boot from rescue and reinstall the grub (there is a red hat article about that).

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Move SSD's with centos8 to other motherboard?

Post by TrevorH » 2019/10/31 16:52:04

If you are replacing one board with another of the same make/model then you don't need to re-run dracut.

I'd also wait until you follow the kernel errors through and find out what they mean.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

ralf

Re: Move SSD's with centos8 to other motherboard?

Post by ralf » 2019/11/01 08:20:05

Thanks hunter86_bg and Trevor for your valuable input!
I will first try to fix the problems I have, but if that's not possible, I will need to switch motherboards. My present board may still be available in China (?), but most likely it will be a new type of motherboard.