Minimal installation

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
mcheoti

Minimal installation

Post by mcheoti » 2019/10/25 10:44:23

Hi everybody!

According to the CentOS wiki there is no minimal version available for CentOS 8.
https://wiki.centos.org/Download

Am i wrong or do i search at the wrong place ?
CHeers CH

ps: I know i can add the upstream server , like this use http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=8 ... epo=BaseOS and select my minimal installation. But i do not want to add the repo list all the time . cheers

KernelOops

Re: Minimal installation

Post by KernelOops » 2019/10/25 12:04:21

unfortunately, someone decided to not make minimal ISO images for CentOS 8, which I think was a bad decision.

unfortunately, who ever made that bad decision, also ignored the user complaints, thus we still don't get a minimal ISO image.

there was an open bugzilla report, but that also was ignored.

:roll:
--
R.I.P. CentOS :cry:
--

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2019/10/25 12:30:37

Unfortunately, that seems to be RH's usual response. They are (were? don't know what it will be now that they're part of IBM) the MS of Linux, at least in the US. Rant against systemd? Ok, are you really going to move your 200 servers to FreeBSD?
I haven't tried CentOS-8 yet. Is there no option, when choosing what to install, radio button for minimal. (I'm hoping there is and that this thread is just about the lack of a CD/USB image for minimal.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2019/10/25 12:54:23

scottro wrote:
2019/10/25 12:30:37
(I'm hoping there is and that this thread is just about the lack of a CD/USB image for minimal.
Indeed there is and this probably is about the lack of image (like several earlier threads).

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2019/10/25 13:03:08

Yes, after posting, went to do a quick test VBox install. Of course, as I think our FAQ once said, upstream somewhat inexplicably has the network disconnected by default (though my guess--of course, you have to allow for confirmation bias on my part :) ) is once again a demonstration of what happens when you get a bunch of single user laptop users making a server system. Then I couldn't even put in a URL that they considered good--that one is probably on me as more of my work is FreeBSD oriented these days and I haven't been keeping up, but rest assured, I can put in a CentOS-4 url that will work. :)

TL;DR never completed my install, but as jlehtone kindly stated, there is an option for minimal install from most of the regular CDs.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/10/25 15:02:34

unfortunately, someone decided to not make minimal ISO images for CentOS 8, which I think was a bad decision.
No, that's wrong. It's not that they decided not to make them, it's that no-one has had time/energy/motivation to work out _how_
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2019/10/29 10:42:45

As a few days have passed it seems that gradually, the programs *I* need are getting into EPEL. For example, say a week after CentOS-8 was out, there was no openbox window manager. That is now available. I doubt it was a priority, I would guess their emphasis is on Gnome or maybe MATE. Anyway, the only thing *I'm* lacking right now is rxvt-unicode which doesn't yet seem to have a package for CentOS-When I was young and energetic, I probably would just try to rebuild from a CentOS-7 rpm (though I also would have done the same with openbox, or at least build dwm from source which is usually very easy).

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/10/29 11:37:41

Code: Select all

rxvt-unicode.x86_64                                       9.22-17.el8                                epel-testing
Use the FAQ Luke

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2019/10/29 12:43:38

As a matter of fact I was just going to come back and say that it's already in testing so I was easily able to install it with dnf --enablerepo=epel-testing rxvt-unicode. Darn Trevor, you're too quick for me. :)

Which sounds rather ungrateful after you took the time to post with an answer to my issue, so I should add, and of course, thank you.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/10/29 13:05:28

I've looked up so many el8 package names recently that I have a terminal window to an el8 VM with dnf --enablerepo=epel-testing,epel-playground .... sitting there waiting to fill in!
Use the FAQ Luke