Neither Network or KVMs start on Boot.

Issues related to configuring your network
Slackster

Neither Network or KVMs start on Boot.

Post by Slackster » 2019/09/09 17:33:21

:shock: I've used CentOS back in the days of 4/5, but I have no experience with it since the switch to SystemD... (just FYI)..

Setup to run KVMs with a bridge to autostart (libvirt, etc) and despite following multiple things I've read online with this issue, I cannot get CentOS to actually connect to the network by itself on boot, thus preventing the KVMs from starting as well (I assume, since they will not start unless I enable the network).

I disabled NetworkManager using the "chkconfig NetworkManager off" command to see it related back to the SystemD version, and enabled network.service. (I used both the systemctl enable network.service" and "chkconfig network on" commands).

Neither is successful. The odd thing is that after boot, if I then run "systemctl start network.service", it will give me an error but start the network anyway.

Looking over the logs, I saw mention of a "unary operator expected" on line 91 of the ifcfg file, and found out that the "Delay" must be set to something like "5" rather than "5.0". I remoted in and changed that, as well as a change from having BOOTPROTO="dhcp" on the bridge when BOOTPROTO="static" was set on the main eth0 interface. I thought that those might be conflicting so I commented out the eth0-bridge line with BOOTPROTO and saved...

Hours later the power goes out and the server reboots, still unable to connect to the network. I'm not sure what else to do, and sadly no one is on site at the server's location so I'll have to return tomorrow to see what's going on.

My hope is that someone can offer at least one of the two following things:

1. A working example of bridge configuration files - i.e. "eth0" and "eth0-bridge" with eth0 being static...

and/or:

2. It would be helpful to know if running "yum remove NetworkManager" to be rid of it will not be removing key elements of the Gnome environment. I tried to run it before, it said it would be an 86mb removal which seemed a lot for one service, and I'm coming from the Slackware perspective of no SystemD, Gnome, or yum for that matter..

I would appreciate any guidance/help I can get here.. I've always defaulted to CentOS for my "hardcore" servers but I haven't had a project in years.. came back and to be honest it's the first time that CentOS has me pulling hair out...

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Neither Network or KVMs start on Boot.

Post by TrevorH » 2019/09/09 17:38:50

Post the contents of all /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files except ifcfg-lo. If you feel you need to obscure anything, please try to do the very minimum - so for example posting an ip address as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx makes it useless but xxx.xxx.12.123 is useful (at least for CIDR netmasks less than 16's) and doesn't give too much away.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Slackster

Post by Slackster » 2019/09/09 18:05:43

I can do that but sadly it will have to wait till tomorrow morning for me which is GMT+0...

Was hoping to get some examples I could work on. The server is across town and I obviously can't remote into it at the moment, so I'd like to get something to work off of tomorrow if I go in to work tomorrow and ya'll aren't up at 1am :)

If not I'll just have to get there and hope for the best..

Thanks for the reply!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/09/09 18:19:50

Unfortunately there are too many different ways in which it's possible to screw things up so the only way to tell is to post all those files.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

tunk

Post by tunk » 2019/09/10 09:50:39

Does your ifcfg-* files have onboot=yes in them?
Also, in your log there's a reference to line 91.
On my systems these files have around 15-20 lines.