HTTP Forwarding over ssh

Issues related to applications and software problems
winlin

HTTP Forwarding over ssh

Post by winlin » 2019/08/23 09:19:55

I have a Business Laptop and connect to a VM which is inside an openstack environment which has no internet access. I want this vm (centos) to be able to get updates over the internet (centos mirrors etc.)

On my Windows Laptop i have Putty and need to know the steps what i have to configure so that i can forward my laptop internt connection to my ubuntu vm.

I would appreciate if someone can post the steps which as to be done. Thank you so much.

jlehtone

Re: HTTP Forwarding over ssh

Post by jlehtone » 2019/08/23 11:02:46

Networking outside of CentOS systems is not quite our problem.
Usage of Putty really is not our problem. Putty users surely have their own fora?
(Btw, one can install openssh to Windows.)

If you can simultaneously connect to your vm and internet with your laptop,
then "has no internet access" is not completely true.

"ubuntu vm"??

pjsr2

Post by pjsr2 » 2019/08/23 11:20:17

When a machine has no direct internet access, you can let it update through a proxy server.

If you cannot use a proxy server, then you can create a local repository mirror
(For instructions: search the web for "centos create local repository mirror")
CentOS provides a command reposync to help you keep a mirrored repository synchronized.

When you cannot create a local mirror repository on a server that can be reached from your vm, you can create the mirror-ed repository on your laptop. And then use rsync to sync the files in the repository over ssh to your vm and create a local repo on your vm.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/08/23 11:32:39

Which bit of your environment runs CentOS?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

stine

Post by stine » 2019/08/31 14:44:47

pjsr2 wrote:
2019/08/23 11:20:17
When a machine has no direct internet access, you can let it update through a proxy server.

If you cannot use a proxy server, then you can create a local repository mirror
(For instructions: search the web for "centos create local repository mirror")
CentOS provides a command reposync to help you keep a mirrored repository synchronized.

When you cannot create a local mirror repository on a server that can be reached from your vm, you can create the mirror-ed repository on your laptop. And then use rsync to sync the files in the repository over ssh to your vm and create a local repo on your vm.
Can you point to a specific website that has accurate and complete instructions for setting up a local repo for CentOS 7?
The script I'm running was adapted by one copied from jms1.net that has worked for quite some time. I did have to update it when RedHat decided to change the naming format with the release of version 7, and now that they've stopped supporting rsync, its broken again, this time fatally.

It would be really nice if there was a script provided on www.centos.org in an FAQ entry on how to properly set up a repository that would support CentOS 6 and CentOS 7 and, in the future, CentOS 8, etc, without having to be rewritten from scratch each time.
If there is one, I've not been able to locate it.

thanks

stine

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/08/31 14:50:31

Can you point to a specific website that has accurate and complete instructions for setting up a local repo for CentOS 7?
Please don't hijack other people's unrelated threads for your questions. Raise your own instead.

And the answer is on our wiki: For information on how to go about setting up a local CentOS mirror please see https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreateLocalMirror
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke