Gnome disappears and has multiple errors

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
terrys13

Gnome disappears and has multiple errors

Post by terrys13 » 2019/08/19 10:40:56

I use centos 5 to run a program for my thesis writing in campus, suddenly When I log in as root and as users, multiple errors appears as bellow :

"An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for gnome-settings-daemon. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly."

"An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for Nautilus. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly."

"An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for Power Manager. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly."

"GConf error, failed to contact configuration server; possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash."

How do I fix it?, I have important program there so I can't just reinstall the OS

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Gnome disappears and has multiple errors

Post by TrevorH » 2019/08/19 11:27:04

I realise this is not what you want to hear but you need to get off CentOS 5. About 2 and a half years ago would be good, further ago than that would be even better.

CentOS 5 went End of Life in March 2017. There will be no more fixes for it and it is already highly insecure and riddled with security bugs that make it unsafe to use. You need to stop using it ASAP and install a new system. CentOS 6 goes EOL in a little over 1 year so that's not a viable upgrade. CentOS 7 has nearly 5 years left and CentOS 8 is not yet released.

You have no future on CentOS 5. Get off it ASAP.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

jlehtone

Re: Gnome disappears and has multiple errors

Post by jlehtone » 2019/08/19 11:46:04

terrys13 wrote:
2019/08/19 10:40:56
I have important program there
What are the actual dependencies of your program?