Partitioning Table Errors

General support questions
jmacdougca

Partitioning Table Errors

Post by jmacdougca » 2018/11/16 21:22:06

What's u guys? I'm in a deep rabbit hole, wondering if there is a way out. Any help greatly appreciated as I do not know if my problem is fixable.

Scenario: I walk into work today to find our company server unplugged. It was a mistake by others π whatever hook it back up kinda thing so sure,
I added as many screen shots as possible.

Moving on, server is hooked back up. but im having an issue with a hard drive see pictures below. All cables for the hard drives are secure. The hard drive set up in this environment is; two groupings 1) two ssds in a raid 0 2) three SATA HDs in a raid 5. It is the one of the HDs in the second grouping that is having the issue.

I keep seeing error with the partitioning tables on the cmd.
The recover volume isnt working in the bios,
I cant ping any websites from the command line, my router is working. Strange.

Results/images/information

1) Image
2) Image
Parted Image
Had drives Image

Motherboard: Asus x-99 deluxe manual is here https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards ... sk_Manual/

Concerns
is there a solution?
Why isn't the recovery volume option working in the BIOS
If there is no solution will I lose all the information on the disks if reset disks to non-raid then re-raid or delete raid volume.
Start less finish more

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Partitioning Table Errors

Post by TrevorH » 2018/11/17 10:21:03

None of your images appeared. If possible, please use plain text for the information anyway.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

tunk

Post by tunk » 2018/11/17 12:29:40

Software or hardware raid? If software, use smartctl to see if there's any problems.
Fixed IP or DHCP?
If you have backup and don't mind restoring if it goes wrong, you could try to "reset disks to non-raid".
Otherwise, I think that would be the very, very last resort.
Don't think it will make any difference, but you could try to reseat all HD cables a few times.

jmacdougca

Post by jmacdougca » 2018/11/19 19:49:15

Thanks for the response guys, much appreciated.

Hardware raid. The motherboard has a built in raid setting.

Fixed IP

I will have to look into backup procedures and report back.
Start less finish more

tunk

Post by tunk » 2018/11/20 11:09:56

"Hardware raid."
I guess that depends on your hardware - some motherboards (mostly desktop?)
have so-called "fake raids" which I understand basically is software raid.
What's you motherboard and what's the output of fdisk -l?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/11/20 12:31:03

That almost invariably means FakeRAID.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

jmacdougca

Post by jmacdougca » 2018/11/21 05:24:34

Hey guys, I made a posting on the intel forums which includes some useful images.

https://communities.intel.com/message/593737#593737

I'm not sold on the response from intel.

Does this help?
Start less finish more

jmacdougca

Post by jmacdougca » 2018/11/21 18:59:13

TrevorH wrote:
2018/11/20 12:31:03
That almost invariably means FakeRAID.
Confirmed, this is a "FakeRAID" | I used the onboard bios raid.
Start less finish more

jmacdougca

Post by jmacdougca » 2018/11/25 23:15:55

Update here guys, this is basically a failed disk. I purchased a new one, same kind same size.

The new drive shows up in the bios wit a green light. Yay! progress. However, the drive shows up as Non-RAID Disk. and when I try t recover the failed RAID volume it does nothing. That is because the new drive is Non-RAID Disk. So duh? Switch it to Member Disk right? Not that simple, here are the options I have at my disposal: 1) Delete RAID Volume 2) Reset Disks to Non-RAID 3) Exit

The rest of the options are greyed out. Sèèms to me the next logical option is to reset raid disks to Non-RAID then re-create the RAID. But pretty sure this would force me to lose my data is this correct?

I feel like there should be a way I integrate this Non-RAID Disk into the other two Member Disks, that is the hole point of a RAID 5. Otherwise I fail to see the value in a RAID5 in my environment.

At this time, I am also really seeing the value in not using the onboard "fake RAID" and setting up the RAID from the command line. I'm waiting on a response @ https://communities.intel.com/message/594562#594562 before moving forward. But if I have to re-set this RAID then I will be doing it the proper way and will render this Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology useless.

I am curious as to how accurate I am to "the mark".
But yeah, what a great learning lesson this has been so far.
Start less finish more

jmacdougca

Post by jmacdougca » 2019/01/03 21:36:12

Update here guys, here is the final response from Asus, this isn't looking good. This is a bit of an emotional rant post, but it's a excellent learning experience. I intent to learn everything I can from this experience and use this experience to improve.

"Sorry but that is the only way for you to create it again. You cannot rebuild it without losing data. Can you somehow back up the data that you have on this Raid 5?"

Here is my response:

"That does not make any sense. The entire purpose of a raid5 is that in a scenario where a hard drive fails, you can take a hard drive out and put a new one in in real time too. It is called a "hot swap". This is the reason I purchased this motherboard and built my server this way specifically. Now your telling me computer science doesn't do what is supposed to."
Here is my MOBO https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/X99DELUXE/

My response wasn't the best. I recognize that. Six weeks my server has been down. I am a bit devastated right now to be completely honest. What is the point of having setting up a raid five if a hard drive fails, the machine doesn't run and I cant rebuild without losing the data? Increased performance? pfff pie 3.14, immaterial. What am I missing here? Did I invest time and money into something I had designed architecturally incorrect from the beginning? doubt it...this feels like another scenario of "passing the buck" and a tech closing a ticket and moving onto the next ticket.

I have a customer list valued at $18,000 on my CRM. My operation will be bust if I lose all my client records. If this turns out to be the case I feel like the next logical move would be to "sue" the company that unplugged my server. I mean what else can I do? I feel like if I don't "sue" this party I will not be standing up for myself for what is the right thing to do. At the same time I don't want to do this as this vendor is definitely not my enemy.

I have had a lot of money stolen from me over the years and just move on normally but in this instance I don't feel I can just walk away and take this on the chin so to speak. Not standing up for myself just isn't me. Not when the issue is this personal and material to me.

I feel like moving forward in my computer science career I want to do everything from the cmd. I am so blown away at the commercialization of "computer, tech" services and their associated costs. When the root of the issue comes really from lack of knowing how to use computers and the knowledge of open source communities.

I am so impressed with the Linux community. For me the Linux community has been a beacon of light or hope along my entrepreneurial journey. My only regret is I wish I used Linux machines 20 years ago and stayed clear of all consumer based operating systems and software. I believe open source is the future.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Start less finish more