Where do put script to run scp on logout, restart, logoff from GNOME

General support questions
justlearning

Where do put script to run scp on logout, restart, logoff from GNOME

Post by justlearning » 2017/02/06 18:20:08

I am running CentOS 7 and have 2 bash scripts to do a scp from another CentOS 7 box. One to get some user preferences on startup of Gnome and one to save on logout, reboot, shutdown of Gnome. On startup I have the file in .config/autostart/getPrefs.desktop which works great. When starting gnome it runs the script and copies the files just fine.
On logout I am not having any success. I am able to invoke the script via terminal successfully. I can get the script to write a text file log that it completed successfully to the user desktop on shutdown and reboot and even make a local copy.
I have spent a lot of time on this site reviewing similar issues but have not been able to get any to work.

on startup in ~/.config/autostart/getPrefs.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=/home/kiosk/.getPrefs
Hidden=false
NoDisplay=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true

the .getPrefs
#!/bin/sh -x
scp -r veger@10.0.1.28:/home/veger/data/Default /home/kiosk/.config/google-chrome/

on shutdown, reboot, logout and poweroff I want to run just the reverse
.savePrefs
#!/bin/sh -x
scp -r /home/kiosk/.congig/google-chrome/Default veger@10.0.1.28:/home/veger/data/

I have tried /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default
I have tried /etc/rc1-5.d with executable script at /etc/init.d
I have tried /etc/systemd/system/

This seems like there should be a simple solution as is for autostart and most of the samples here are for older versions of CentOS. I am not afraid to do the work but would love to be pointed in the right direction as I am new to CentOS.

Thank you in advance.

justlearning

Re: Where do put script to run scp on logout, restart, logoff from GNOME

Post by justlearning » 2017/02/08 15:56:51

I found a solution that works for me on logout of GNOME.
The problem I was having was the script I was running needed to run as a specific user and the GNOME logout script located at /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default runs as root.
To fix my problem so that the script runs either from the GNOME or SHELL I put the call to the script for my SCP in the user .bash_logout
I call the .bash_logout from the GNOME PostSession. I can not take credit for this idea, I read it in a book preview from Linux Timesaving Tips and Tricks for Dummies.

/etc/gdm/PostSession/Default
#!/bin/sh
if [ $USER = "username" ];then
runuser -l username -c 'bash /home/user/.bash_logout'
sleep 1
fi
exit 0

The runuser will work by itself, but it will try and do that for every user profile that logs out of GNOME, but testing for the user only the .bash_logout of that user is called on logout.
I am new to Linux and rely heavily on these types of forums thank you to everyone who takes time to post.

justlearning

Re: Where do put script to run scp on logout, restart, logoff from GNOME

Post by justlearning » 2017/02/10 14:46:08

To finish this up I also found a method that is working for me on shutdown and reboot that will run the scp script.
I have in my local space "/home/kiosk" created a skywalker.sh which has the same runuser command that is in the /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default
I added a service at /etc/systemd/system/save-prefs.service

[Unit]
Description=The_Force_Is_Strong_With_This_One
After=network.target

[Service]
RemainAfterExit=true
ExecStop=/home/kiosk/skywalker.sh
Type=oneshot

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target shutdown.target reboot.target halt.target

On shutdown and restart this runs as root. It calls the skywalker.sh which does a
runuser -l kiosk -c 'bash /home/kiosk/.bash_logout'
and that runs the script with the secure copy command