[SOLVED] CentOS-6.6 GRUB menu "p" option does nothing

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
warron.french

[SOLVED] CentOS-6.6 GRUB menu "p" option does nothing

Post by warron.french » 2016/03/08 23:06:03

I posted a question to the forums last summer, never got a response, and now I have gotten back to this project because it became a high priority again.

I have discovered a system to which I cannot access through the GRUB menu to the root user account, while attempting to use the "p" option.

Absolutely nothing happens when I hit the "p" key while sitting at the GRUB menu, but it appears to be working when I am attempting to login to the machine locally as root through the Gnome Desktop Login window.

All I see is the following typical text:

Press enter to boot the selected OS or 'p' to enter a password to unlock the next set of features.

As I indicated before however, hitting the [p] key does nothing for me at all.
Last edited by warron.french on 2016/03/09 22:15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
War

warron.french

Re: CentOS-6.6 GRUB menu "p" option does nothing

Post by warron.french » 2016/03/09 22:15:16

The solution to this was not an obvious one really, but it was a very simple one ---

The keyboard's [p] key was not functioning properly. I determined this by plugging in a different keyboard and right away I could complete the tasks I needed; through which the GRUB password for access to the single-user mode was pinnacle. What was weird was the fact that the other keys [up_arrow] and {down_arrow] did work.

I am marking this problem as [SOLVED].
Thanks,
War