Removing bottom bar in Gnome 3.8.4

Issues related to applications and software problems
pabloengenharia

Removing bottom bar in Gnome 3.8.4

Post by pabloengenharia » 2015/01/28 01:56:59

Hello. Does anyone know how to remove the bottom bar in Gnome 3.8.4? Is there no way to "unlock" it?

Thank U all!

pabloengenharia

Re: Removing bottom bar in Gnome 3.8.4

Post by pabloengenharia » 2015/01/28 03:43:31

I've edited /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css but no success. I commented all references to *bottom* and nothing happened.

Greg_E

Post by Greg_E » 2015/02/16 21:16:14

There are supposed to be some gnome tools, but every time I try to go get them, the web page can not detect which version of gnome is installed and therefore I get nothing. Same thing with placing quick launch links on the top bar like C6.5 was able to do.

jimj

Post by jimj » 2015/02/23 15:38:24

I don't use the bottom bar, this is how I configured Gnome3. I believe just using "Gnome Shell" got rid of the bottom bar, but I've listed all of my tweaks below:

[Change to the new "Gnome Shell" session (instead of the default of "Classic Shell")]
-Note that you must have a password set on your account (at least temporarily) to change your GNOME session. After you select you session you can remove your password again. From the upper right corner username menu go to "Settings->Users" to change your password. Note that entering a weak password will cause cause the password change window to hang. If you want to use a weak password you'll need to instead change your password with the 'passwd' command line program.
-Note that these steps do work with Automatic Login enabled
-Log Out (if you're already signed)
-Click your username to log in
-Click the gear icon next to the blue "Sign In" button
-In the Session drop down menu click "GNOME" (default is "GNOME Classic")
-Enter your password and click the blue "Sign In" button

[Tweak Tool (aka 'gnome-tweak-tool') changes]
-Open "Applications->Utilities->Tweak Tool" (aka 'gnome-tweak-tool' from the command line)
-"Shell"
-"Show date in clock" to "ON" (default is off)
-"Arrangement of buttons on the titlebar" = "All" (default is "Close Only")
-If you use the classic mode this is enabled by default
-Shell Extensions (if using the new Gnome 3 Shell, not the classic Gnome 3 interface)
-"Applications menu" = ON
-"Places status indicator"
-"Windows"
-"Action on title bar middle-click" = "Toggle Maximize Vertically" (default is "Lower")

Rpera

Post by Rpera » 2015/03/20 17:19:51

jimj wrote:I don't use the bottom bar, this is how I configured Gnome3. I believe just using "Gnome Shell" got rid of the bottom bar, but I've listed all of my tweaks below:

[Change to the new "Gnome Shell" session (instead of the default of "Classic Shell")]
-Note that you must have a password set on your account (at least temporarily) to change your GNOME session. After you select you session you can remove your password again. From the upper right corner username menu go to "Settings->Users" to change your password. Note that entering a weak password will cause cause the password change window to hang. If you want to use a weak password you'll need to instead change your password with the 'passwd' command line program.
-Note that these steps do work with Automatic Login enabled
-Log Out (if you're already signed)
-Click your username to log in
-Click the gear icon next to the blue "Sign In" button
-In the Session drop down menu click "GNOME" (default is "GNOME Classic")
-Enter your password and click the blue "Sign In" button

[Tweak Tool (aka 'gnome-tweak-tool') changes]
-Open "Applications->Utilities->Tweak Tool" (aka 'gnome-tweak-tool' from the command line)
-"Shell"
-"Show date in clock" to "ON" (default is off)
-"Arrangement of buttons on the titlebar" = "All" (default is "Close Only")
-If you use the classic mode this is enabled by default
-Shell Extensions (if using the new Gnome 3 Shell, not the classic Gnome 3 interface)
-"Applications menu" = ON
-"Places status indicator"
-"Windows"
-"Action on title bar middle-click" = "Toggle Maximize Vertically" (default is "Lower")

Hello,

Do you know another way of doing it? I can't find anything usefull on the web to hide/remove bottom bar.

I'm using as well 3.8.3 and this don't seem to work for me

thank you
Best regards
Rui Pereira

jimj

Post by jimj » 2015/03/21 04:20:37

If you never want to use the windows list (bar along the bottom) you could simply remove its package like this:

Code: Select all

yum erase gnome-shell-extension-window-list

joncr

Post by joncr » 2015/03/22 11:00:16

The bits that enable the default 'Gnome Classic' look are several Gnome Shell extensions. The simplest and easiest way to them turn on or off is with Tweak Tool, which is in the standard Gnome install. The panel at the bottom is the "Window List" extension. So, Tweak Tool->Shell Extensions->Window List.