Unable to boot after changing motherboard

General support questions
XG Dong

Unable to boot after changing motherboard

Post by XG Dong » 2015/01/03 03:38:41

Hi,

So I had CentOS 7 installed on an SSD, recently I moved the SSD to another machine and it would not boot...after showing the motherboard's logo, it went to black screen with a cursor flashing at left top corner.

I tried to put the SSD in my laptop, could not boot either...

The drive was encrypted during installation, but I do not think that is the issue. And I have access to the files once I connect the drive as external drive and unlock it using the pass phrase.

Maybe I need to fix grub? I have experience fixing grub of Linux Mint using a live DVD, but not sure how to do that with CentOS...

Thanks for any help in advance.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: Unable to boot after changing motherboard

Post by scottro » 2015/01/03 03:42:03

Yeah, it's getting more like Windows in this respect. However, the issues I've seen in such cases usually went further in the boot, to the point of things like unable to mount root....

If you boot from an install CD there is a rescue option. I believe that will do what the rescue option has always done, try to find an installation and if it does, mount it under /mnt/sysimage and chroot into that.

DISCLAIMER--haven't had to use it with CentOS 7, vaguely remember using it with some Fedora or another, so I may be completely wrong about what it does.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

XG Dong

Post by XG Dong » 2015/01/03 08:15:42

scottro wrote:Yeah, it's getting more like Windows in this respect. However, the issues I've seen in such cases usually went further in the boot, to the point of things like unable to mount root....

If you boot from an install CD there is a rescue option. I believe that will do what the rescue option has always done, try to find an installation and if it does, mount it under /mnt/sysimage and chroot into that.

DISCLAIMER--haven't had to use it with CentOS 7, vaguely remember using it with some Fedora or another, so I may be completely wrong about what it does.
Maybe I should backup the whole drive then have some adventure...might just do a whole drive clone. Just in case.

toracat
Site Admin

Post by toracat » 2015/01/03 08:49:13

When you move a drive that has an OS installed, its hardware environment changes. What you want to try is to run dracut to recreate the initramfs file on the new system.
CentOS Forum FAQ