Anyone get Catalyst / radeon driver working in CentOS 7?

Issues related to applications and software problems
kfiresmith

Anyone get Catalyst / radeon driver working in CentOS 7?

Post by kfiresmith » 2014/07/26 18:47:33

I've tried a couple times now using the latest beta driver and each time I end up with a non-booting system. Unfortunately with my APU board, which is about a year old (Asrock FM2A88M-HD+ w/ A8-5500 AMD Radeon HD 7560D ) even after getting the .run file to complete successfully I get a system that just reboots each time it tries to boot up. I've tried the dist kernel and the newest *4.4 release to no avail.

Any ideas for getting better than 1024x768 resolution on the AMD APU?

Thanks!

PS: I realize I'm not posting much information, I couldn't find any way to grab output of the issue since it just reboots. I'd be totally happy just to be pointed in the direction of getting the open source AMD/ATI drivers working on Centos7 w/ my APU.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Anyone get Catalyst / radeon driver working in CentOS 7?

Post by TrevorH » 2014/07/27 16:26:59

Make sure that xorg-x11-glamor is not installed.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

SirLurkalot

Post by SirLurkalot » 2014/07/30 14:02:17

IANAE but fglrx was in the Centos 6 repositories or perhaps it was rpmforge but I loaded it through the normal software loader.
Have you tried the 7 repos ?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2014/07/30 14:14:53

ELRepo supplied a kmod-fglrx package for CentOS 5 and 6 but they are looking for a new maintainer of the packages since the existing person doesn't actually have the hardware to test anything. For this reason there is currently no ELRepo kmod-fglrx for el7.

If anyone has the expertise or even just the willingness to learn and the time to maintain the packages then I'm sure that ELRepo would love to hear from you...
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

nugai

Post by nugai » 2014/08/02 00:05:13

Note added 02-Feb-2015:
As posted somewhere else further below, ihe instructions below seem to be no longer necessary (except for backing up and restoring multi-monitor configs, as pointed out in item #10). The AMD Catalyst drivers now can be installed via:

Code: Select all

yum --enablerepo elrepo-testing install fglrx-x11-drv
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. While it is correct that there seems to be no pre-built package available, I got the both the AMD Catalyst 14.4 stable (Rev. 2 dated May, 2014) and AMD Catalyst 14.6 Beta (dated July, 2014) drivers working on a new CentOS 7.0-1406 system with few complications (even for a newbie like me -- the most important one being having to use KDE instead of Gnome):

1. Reboot the system and disable "Secure Boot" (a UEFI thing for Windows) in the motherboard BIOS, else you get errors (a) during boot that a X.509 certificate in the kernel is missing and (b) later a modprobe error that it "could not insert 'fglrx': Required key not available." Note: Both messages point to a Secure Boot issue.

2. As root, install pre-requisites:

yum -y install kernel-devel libstdc++ libgcc XFree86-libs fontconfig freetype zlib gcc
3. As root, download (or copy) the latest AMD Catalyst driver (stable or Beta) onto your system and unzip it. For the example below I used the Beta driver (currently 14.6 from support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Latest-LINUX-Beta-Driver.aspx because it supposedly supports later kernel versions than the stable driver that can be found via support.amd.com/en-us/download).

unzip linux-amd-catalyst-14.6-beta-v1.0-jul11.zip
4. Change directory to the unpacked driver (In my case, unzipping created a directory "fglrx-14.20" -- note the difference: the file name says "14.6" but the directory refers to "14.20"):

cd whatever-your-download-directory-is/fglrx-14.20
5. Run the AMD utility (after checking it has execute permissions)

./amd-driver-installer-14.20-x86.x86_64.run
6. Check the AMD install log and address the issues that may be listed there. In my case, I performed steps 3-5 before disabling Secure Boot, so I got an error that prompted me to (a) read /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log where it said I should (b) reboot the system and (c) perform the additional steps outlined below.

Further to 6.(a), if...

cat /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log
...shows anything like this...

Unloading radeon module...
rmmod: ERROR: Module radeon is in use
Unloading drm module...
rmmod: ERROR: Module drm is in use by: ttm drm_kms_helper radeon
...it points again to a Secure Boot issue.

6.(b) is kind of self-explanatory

reboot
For 6.(c), run...

cd /lib/modules/fglrx
./make_install.sh
...and if this produces...

- recreating module dependency list
- trying a sample load of the kernel modules
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'fglrx': Required key not available
failed.
...it points to the Secure Boot issue once again.

7. Install KDE (google if or why you have to uninstall Gnome):

yum -y groups install "KDE Plasma Workspaces" 
echo "exec startkde" >> ~/.xinitrc
After fiddling around with this setup a little bit, the above command didn't work anymore for a KDE re-install. So I had to use this command instead to reinstall KDE:

yum install kde-baseapps kde-runtime kde-workspace kdelibs konsole kate kde-wallpapers kde-base-artwork kactivities kdeplasma-addons kdepimlibs k3b amarok kaffeine
8. Reboot (again)

reboot
9. I also opened port 22 for SSH from another system (consider using another port and reconfigure sshd if your system is facing a public network):

firewall-cmd --zone=public --permanent --add-port=22/tcp
10. Post-Installation Note (added 20-Aug-2014): A "yum update" installed a new kernel, and this new kernel broke the AMD fglrx driver (so that attempts to start the X server failed). To solve this problem, I had to log in via SSH, then uninstall the existing driver and then re-build it using steps 4-6 above (no download of AMD driver needed). Since rebuilding the driver overwrites the xorg.conf file, it seems sensible to back up this file manually before rebuilding the driver. Here are the commands I used:

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-latest-good-config
cd /usr/share/ati/
./fglrx-uninstall.sh
# follow steps 4-6 above
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf-latest-good-config /etc/X11/xorg.conf
reboot
I hope this helps.
Last edited by nugai on 2015/02/02 20:48:56, edited 5 times in total.

tusharkant15

Post by tusharkant15 » 2014/08/25 14:50:43

nugai wrote:Yes. While it is correct that there seems to be no pre-built package available, I got the both the AMD Catalyst 14.4 stable (Rev. 2 dated May, 2014) and AMD Catalyst 14.6 Beta (dated July, 2014) drivers working on a new CentOS 7.0-1406 system with few complications (even for a newbie like me -- the most important one being having to use KDE instead of Gnome):

1. Reboot the system and disable "Secure Boot" (a UEFI thing for Windows) in the motherboard BIOS, else you get errors (a) during boot that a X.509 certificate in the kernel is missing and (b) later a modprobe error that it "could not insert 'fglrx': Required key not available." Note: Both messages point to a Secure Boot issue.

2. As root, install pre-requisites:

yum -y install kernel-devel libstdc++ libgcc XFree86-libs fontconfig freetype zlib gcc
3. As root, download (or copy) the latest AMD Catalyst driver (stable or Beta) onto your system and unzip it. For the example below I used the Beta driver (currently 14.6 from support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Latest-LINUX-Beta-Driver.aspx because it supposedly supports later kernel versions than the stable driver that can be found via support.amd.com/en-us/download).

unzip linux-amd-catalyst-14.6-beta-v1.0-jul11.zip
4. Change directory to the unpacked driver (In my case, unzipping created a directory "fglrx-14.20" -- note the difference: the file name says "14.6" but the directory refers to "14.20"):

cd whatever-your-download-directory-is/fglrx-14.20
5. Run the AMD utility (after checking it has execute permissions)

./amd-driver-installer-14.20-x86.x86_64.run
6. Check the AMD install log and address the issues that may be listed there. In my case, I performed steps 3-5 before disabling Secure Boot, so I got an error that prompted me to (a) read /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log where it said I should (b) reboot the system and (c) perform the additional steps outlined below.

Further to 6.(a), if...

cat /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log
...shows anything like this...

Unloading radeon module...
rmmod: ERROR: Module radeon is in use
Unloading drm module...
rmmod: ERROR: Module drm is in use by: ttm drm_kms_helper radeon
...it points again to a Secure Boot issue.

6.(b) is kind of self-explanatory

reboot
For 6.(c), run...

cd /lib/modules/fglrx
./make_install.sh
...and if this produces...

- recreating module dependency list
- trying a sample load of the kernel modules
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'fglrx': Required key not available
failed.
...it points to the Secure Boot issue once again.

7. Install KDE (google if or why you have to uninstall Gnome):

yum -y groups install "KDE Plasma Workspaces" 
echo "exec startkde" >> ~/.xinitrc
After fiddling around with this setup a little bit, the above command didn't work anymore for a KDE re-install. So I had to use this command instead to reinstall KDE:

yum install kde-baseapps kde-runtime kde-workspace kdelibs konsole kate kde-wallpapers kde-base-artwork kactivities kdeplasma-addons kdepimlibs k3b amarok kaffeine
8. Reboot (again)

reboot
9. I also opened port 22 for SSH from another system (consider using another port and reconfigure sshd if your system is facing a public network):

firewall-cmd --zone=public --permanent --add-port=22/tcp
10. Post-Installation Note (added 20-Aug-2014): A "yum update" installed a new kernel, and this new kernel broke the AMD fglrx driver (so that attempts to start the X server failed). To solve this problem, I had to log in via SSH, then uninstall the existing driver and then re-build it using steps 4-6 above (no download of AMD driver needed). Since rebuilding the driver overwrites the xorg.conf file, it seems sensible to back up this file manually before rebuilding the driver. Here are the commands I used:

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-latest-good-config
cd /usr/share/ati/
./fglrx-uninstall.sh
# follow steps 4-6 above
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf-latest-good-config /etc/X11/xorg.conf-latest-good-config
reboot
I hope this helps.
Hi! Your instructions worked and I didn't even have to uninstall gnome. I, however, haven't yet managed to get video acceleration running (vaapi). Do you know how to do that?

pkbarbiedoll

Post by pkbarbiedoll » 2014/09/14 15:36:03

I'm getting an error running ./amd-driver-installer-14.20-x86.x86_64.run

# ./amd-driver-installer-14.20-x86.x86_64.run
Created directory fglrx-install.xjgOcJ
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing AMD Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver-14.20............................
=====================================================================
AMD Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver Installer/Packager
=====================================================================
Detected configuration:
Architecture: x86_64 (64-bit)
X Server: X.Org 6.9 or later 64-bit

Click next on the setup window, then this message appears:

# yum list kernel*
Installed packages
kernel.x86_64 3.10.0-123.6.3.el7 @updates
kernel-devel.x86_64 3.10.0-123.6.3.el7 @updates
kernel-headers.x86_64 3.10.0-123.6.3.el7 @updates
kernel-tools.x86_64 3.10.0-123.6.3.el7 @updates
kernel-tools-libs.x86_64 3.10.0-123.6.3.el7 @updates

# yum list libstdc++ libgcc XFree86-libs fontconfig freetype zlib gcc
Installed Packages
fontconfig.x86_64 2.10.95-7.el7 @anaconda
freetype.x86_64 2.4.11-9.el7 @anaconda
gcc.x86_64 4.8.2-16.2.el7_0 @updates
libgcc.x86_64 4.8.2-16.2.el7_0 @updates
libstdc++.x86_64 4.8.2-16.2.el7_0 @updates
zlib.x86_64 1.2.7-13.el7 @anaconda

# yum -y install XFree86-libs
* base: mirror.es.its.nyu.edu
* epel: mirror.symnds.com
* extras: mirror.cogentco.com
* nux-dextop: mirror.li.nux.ro
* updates: cosmos.cites.illinois.edu
No package XFree86-libs available.

At a loss of what to do.
Attachments
notsuppported.png
notsuppported.png (4.62 KiB) Viewed 51538 times

pkbarbiedoll

Post by pkbarbiedoll » 2014/09/14 16:49:42

My next step was to grab the "legacy" drivers from ATI:

# ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run
Clicked next at the opening window, then this appears:

Here's the referenced log file:

# cat /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log 
Check if system has the tools required for installation.
fglrx installation requires that the system have kernel headers.  /lib/modules/3.10.0-123.6.3.el7.x86_64/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.
One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system. Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver.
Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.
Package list:

# yum list kernel*
Installed Packages
kernel.x86_64                                                              3.10.0-123.el7                                                 @anaconda
kernel.x86_64                                                              3.10.0-123.6.3.el7                                             @updates 
kernel-devel.x86_64                                                        3.10.0-123.6.3.el7                                             @updates 
kernel-headers.x86_64                                                      3.10.0-123.6.3.el7                                             @updates 
kernel-tools.x86_64                                                        3.10.0-123.6.3.el7                                             @updates 
kernel-tools-libs.x86_64                                                   3.10.0-123.6.3.el7                                             @updates
So the kernel headers are in fact, installed.

What next?

darkhemic

Post by darkhemic » 2014/09/17 12:56:43

To pkbarbiedoll - Many of the more up to date Linux Distros are going to have problems installing some of the legacy drivers, in these instances the open source drivers are your only option. To better help you, what video card are you trying to install the Catalyst drivers for. I know some of the AGP Radeon HD models had problems with the official drivers because the hardware ID's weren't included in.

If you do in fact need the legacy drivers have you tried to install the package for compatibility. In Gnome - the applications menu -> System Tools -> Software and click Package Collections and try installing the Compatibility Libraries, this package helps some people run some of the older software. I'm not saying it's going to fix the problem but it could help.

Ahmed Hassan

Post by Ahmed Hassan » 2014/09/23 06:46:43

OK, this is how I got Radeon drivers to work on CentOS 7.

1-Open grub file

# vim /etc/default/grub
Look for the line that start with "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX" and append 'nomodeset' to that line. So, if your GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX looks like this before the append.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=centos/00 rd.lvm.lv=centos/01 rd.luks.uuid=luks-3ff8e7f3-9612-4a02-90ab-d289f0cf675d crashkernel=auto  vconsole.keymap=us vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16 rd.luks.uuid=luks-fd7c848a-c128-404d-b771-9e3d11eb93da rhgb quiet"
It will look like this after the append.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=centos/00 rd.lvm.lv=centos/01 rd.luks.uuid=luks-3ff8e7f3-9612-4a02-90ab-d289f0cf675d crashkernel=auto  vconsole.keymap=us vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16 rd.luks.uuid=luks-fd7c848a-c128-404d-b771-9e3d11eb93da rhgb quiet [b]nomodeset[/b]"
Then run grub2-mkconfig

# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
I'm not sure if the following package has an effect or not. I removed it anyway.

yum remove xorg-x11-glamor

Download linux-amd-catalyst-14.6-beta from their official website, and unzip and run the binary in the command line.

Sorry for pumping this up. I came here through Google, and nothing really helped me.