kernel upgrade

General support questions
lboregard

kernel upgrade

Post by lboregard » 2014/07/16 00:29:27

hello all, newbie here ...

first of all, i've just installed CentOS 7 and the experience has been really great. i have experience with ubuntu, archlinux and debian, and i find centos quite enjoyable.

to the point ... i'd like to upgrade to kernel 3.15.

i found out about elrepo.org repo and saw the very recent kernel versions available.

the question is ... why should i use elrepo.org rather than compiling my own kernel ?

thanks in advance !

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: kernel upgrade

Post by TrevorH » 2014/07/16 00:42:24

First, do not believe the version number of the distro kernel. It has many features that are from newer kernels already integrated. A lot of the main kernel developers work for Redhat so the features they work on appear _first_ in the RH kernel and only later in the mainline one.

Why do you want to install a newer kernel? Do you have hardware that does not function? If not, then my advice is do not change. If you do then you will be stuck with maintaining your own? Redhat keep track of security vulnerabilities and backport the fixes for them to the distro kernel. Thus you are only ever a yum update away from a patched kernel.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

nbritton

Post by nbritton » 2014/07/16 02:44:45

Unless you have a specific feature you need in the newer kernel I would not change the default enterprise linux kernel in any way. The standardized kernel, and static application binary & programming interfaces, are enterprise linux's reason for being. Enterprise linux is stagnant for a reason, if you want the latest and greatest you should run Fedora.

lboregard

Post by lboregard » 2014/07/16 07:50:43

thank you TrevorH and nbritton, for the replies.

the main reason i'd want to upgrade is due to the improved performance in fuse filesystems that the 3.15 kernel brings.

but i see the point in running a standard and greatly curated snapshot of an os.

nbritton

Post by nbritton » 2014/07/16 16:16:41

lboregard wrote:the main reason i'd want to upgrade is due to the improved performance in fuse filesystems that the 3.15 kernel brings.
At the end of the day I think you're asking for more trouble then it's worth. Here are the commands:

Code: Select all

rpm --import https://www.elrepo.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-elrepo.org;
rpm -Uvh http://www.elrepo.org/elrepo-release-7.0-2.el7.elrepo.noarch.rpm;
sed -i '/\[elrepo-kernel\]/,/^ *\[/ s/enabled=0/enabled=1/' /etc/yum.repos.d/elrepo.repo;
yum -y install kernel-ml;