Installing CentOS on Mac

General support questions
phaseshift

Installing CentOS on Mac

Post by phaseshift » 2013/04/09 00:12:25

Okay so I've decided to use CentOS as my first ever linux installation. I have a mac mini and would like to install CentOS on a partition and dual boot. I downloaded both DVD1 and DVD2 however, I saw that dvd2 is not need for the installation?

What is DVD2 used for then?

Also can I put CentOS in a bootable usb? I see that there is a wiki for this but it doesn't show how to do it on Mac Mountain Lion...maybe I'm blind and I opologize.

can I use this method:

http://blog.lewan.com/2012/02/10/making-a-bootable-usb-stick-on-an-apple-mac-os-x-from-an-iso/

[quote]
1.Download the desired file

2.Open the Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/ or query Terminal in Spotlight)

3.Convert the .iso file to .img using the convert option of hdiutil:
hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o /path/to/target.img /path/to/source.iso)

4.Note: OS X tends to put the .dmg ending on the output file automatically.

Rename the file by typing:
mv /path/to/target.img.dmg /path/to/target.img

5.Run diskutil list to get the current list of devices

6.Insert your flash media

7.Run diskutil list again and determine the device node assigned to your flash media (e.g. /dev/disk2)

8.Run diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN (replace N with the disk number from the last command; in the previous example, N would be 2)

9.Execute sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m (replace /path/to/downloaded.img with the path where the image file is located; for example, ./ubuntu.img or ./ubuntu.dmg).

10.Using /dev/rdisk instead of /dev/disk may be faster.
-If you see the error dd: Invalid number '1m', you are using GNU dd. Use the same command but replace bs=1m with bs=1M.
-If you see the error dd: /dev/diskN: Resource busy, make sure the disk is not in use. Start the ‘Disk Utility.app’ and unmount (don’t eject) the drive.

11.Run diskutil eject /dev/diskN and remove your flash media when the command completes

12.Now the USB stick is ready. Boot the device that you want from the USB stick. [/quote]

GerardButler

Re: Installing CentOS on Mac

Post by GerardButler » 2013/04/09 06:06:32

Instructions
Partition a Drive

Install a hard drive on which to install the CentOS operating system.

Boot up the Mac Pro in OS X if it is already installed, or from an install disk.

Open the Disk Utility in OS X and select the "Physical Drive" option near the top.

Click on the "Partition" tab.

Under "Volume Scheme," select "2 Partitions."

Click on "Partition 1" to highlight it, and select the MS-DOS option under "Format," and a size of 1.0 gigabyte.

Under "Options," select "Master Boot Record."

Type a name of your choice into the "Name" field.

Switch to "Partition 2," and choose a "Free Space" format.

Click the "Apply" button, then close the window.

Install CentOS

Insert the CentOS 5.5 install disk into the disk drive, restart the computer and hold down the "C" key on your keyboard while the computer reboots.

Press the right arrow key when the installer program appears to skip the disk scan and press "Enter."

Click "NEXT" until the "Partitioning" screen appears.

Click on the option to "Use Free space on selected drives and create default layout," and make sure that the box representing the hard drive on which you wish to install CentOS is checked.

Select the option to "Review and Modify" your partitioning layout so you can see that everything is correct, and click the "Next" button.

Click the "Next" button once more at the next screen.

Select the GRUB bootloader at the "Bootloader" screen that follows and check the destination filepath to be sure that it "/dev/sda2."

Check the CentOS box in the list of operating systems and uncheck all remaining boxes.

Click "Configure Advanced Bootloader options," followed by "Next."

Select the option to install the Bootloader Record on "/dev/sda Master Boot Record (MBR)," the partition you created earlier, in the window that appears. Click "Next."

Enter your network settings into their relevant fields in the screen that follows, select your time zone and uncheck the box labelled "Use UTC."

Click the "Next" button to begin the installation process.

Source - ehow dot com

vonskippy

Installing CentOS on Mac

Post by vonskippy » 2013/04/09 17:49:29

Install Virtualbox or Parallels on your existing OSX install, then install CentOS in a VM.

Way less clunky then dual booting, and you'll have TWO operating systems running at one time.