Steam Source server, Day of Defeat Source, Counter Strike Source

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
Rct_Tsoul

Steam Source server, Day of Defeat Source, Counter Strike Source

Post by Rct_Tsoul » 2011/05/08 08:55:01

CentOS 5.5

I have been tring for 2 weeks now to get a Day of Defeat server running, I have all game files and Steam up to date and I use the following command line to start the server:
[code]./srcds_run -console -game dod +map dod_colmar -maxplayers 32 +ip 69.172.231.46 -port 27015 -tickrate 66 +fps_max 500 +exec server.cfg[/code]

I am thinking that it is something within my launch command line as I have had other problems with different games that were solved with command line properness for that specific game, eg:
Quake2
./r1q2ded-x86_64 +set dedicated 1 +set ip 69.172.231.46 +set port 47920 +set game lithium +exec server.cfg &

Quake3 / Openarena
./oa_ded.x86_64 +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip 69.172.231.46 +set net_port 37960 +set fs_game truecombat +set vm 2 +exec basic.cfg &

Notice the set net_ip to set ip and set net_port to set port and set fs_game to set game, and also noice the & at the end, I am thinking that there is a CentOS 5.5 sided problem and need to get this going.

Symptoms:
Game server looks like it is starting but then continusly keeps, stoping, then restarting every 3 seconds, hopefully there is a Cent-OS sided issue with launch,.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Steam Source server, Day of Defeat Source, Counter Strike Source

Post by pschaff » 2011/05/08 13:49:28

This may be too specific to that application to get an answer here. Best I can offer is a [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Day+of+Defeat%22+centos5+OR+centos5+OR+rhel5+OR+el5&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a]targeted google[/url] or [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Day+of+Defeat%22+server+linux&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a]two[/url].

I would like to point out that running an Internet-facing server with an obsolete OS release is dangerous to the health of your server. 5.6 is the current release. See the [url=http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.6]CentOS 5.6 Release Notes[/url] Section 4 for details on the recommended update procedure. By not updating you are implicitly accepting that you will live with numerous bugs and security issues (and associated known exploits) that have subsequently been fixed.

It would also be good to review the [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14274&forum=47]Readme First[/url] guidelines and cleanly close out your [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=31201&forum=38]other topic[/url].

Rct_Tsoul

Post by Rct_Tsoul » 2011/05/08 18:48:05

Upgrading to 5.6 is not an option for alot of us because we are renting a headless VPS that is only offered in CentOS 5.5 for now, and alot of people are going to want to run game servers such as I listed above, please allow us to post for a solution to our problem from those that have already run into this and solved it. Also, I dont know how to close out my other post as that problem was solved.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/05/08 23:40:36

[quote]
Rct_Tsoul wrote:
Upgrading to 5.6 is not an option for alot of us because we are renting a headless VPS that is only offered in CentOS 5.5 for now, and alot of people are going to want to run game servers such as I listed above, please allow us to post for a solution to our problem from those that have already run into this and solved it.[/quote]
No one is going to prevent you from working on the solution, but "yum update" should work, and not care at all about whether the server is headless or not, unless the following are applicable; in which case you might want to either remedy the situation or find another provider:
[url=http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/OtherVoices]Other Voices[/url]
[url=http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/OtherSpins]When CentOS Is Not CentOS[/url]
[url=http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BrokenVserver]Broken Virtual Server[/url]

[quote]
Also, I dont know how to close out my other post as that problem was solved.[/quote]
The best way to close out a thread is described very explicitly in the [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14274&forum=47]Readme First[/url] link I gave you:

[quote]
[b][size=120]12. What to do once you have an answer[/size][/b]

It would be nice to thank the member(s) who helped you. We are all the more inclined to help those who take the time to acknowledge the help they have received.

Provide feedback as to what the solution was. This will help the next person with the same problem to identify the solution and so share this knowledge with others. It is also good form to reply with [SOLVED] or [RESOLVED] in the Subject to indicate the status. A moderator can (and usually will) then notice and mark the initial post appropriately. Unfortunately, users cannot do so with the current forum implementation.

Congratulations, now you have an answer to your problem, you have gained some valuable knowledge that, hopefully, you'll be willing to share when another Community member asks a similar question. Before you know it, you will be one of the people answering some of the questions, not just asking them. This is how a community works, by giving a little back occasionally. So once you have an answer we hope you'll stay around and become part of the Community.[/quote]

Rct_Tsoul

Post by Rct_Tsoul » 2011/05/10 12:44:04

pschaff...
I have already done yum update, so I am now running 5.6 or an updated 5.5
I see you are a monerator and I respect that, but I don't appreciate you monkey renching my topic with redirects to FAQ'S and such, this has already been done by many of us, running GAME SERVERS on Linux is very secretive and NO HELP is offered by the gaming community of that specific game, there is a lot of money to be made by gaining the knolege to running GAME SERVERS and no help is provided do to the fact that a new competitor emerges with knolege on running them only means there will be less money for them, THIS IS WHY I POSTED MY QUESTION HERE hoping that someone will be helpfull in giving me the correct commandline perameters that has already done this, once I learn how to run a game server for a specific game I can then charge $50+ per month for each, and since Linux has unlimited client access I can host several different games on 1 box, bringinging in a profit of about $300 per box per month.
So if you can use you admin powers to delete your posts above and this one I would appreciate it and then I can let this topic stick only to the question at hand.
How do you run and Launch a Steam Source server on CentOS 5.6?

gerald_clark

Steam Source server, Day of Defeat Source, Counter Strike So

Post by gerald_clark » 2011/05/10 13:27:48

An attitude like that is likely to get you nowhere.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/05/10 13:42:43

[quote]
Rct_Tsoul wrote:
pschaff...
I have already done yum update, so I am now running 5.6 or an updated 5.5[/quote]
Apparently [i][b]something[/b][/i] I said was helpful. :-)

[quote]
... THIS IS WHY I POSTED MY QUESTION HERE ...[/quote]
Once more, please review the [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14274&forum=47]forum guidelines[/url] and refrain from SHOUTING.

[quote]
So if you can use you admin powers to delete your posts above and this one I would appreciate it and then I can let this topic stick only to the question at hand.[/quote]
I'm not about to do that. Everything I have posted is relevant, either directly to your questions, or to forum guidelines.

[quote]
How do you run and Launch a Steam Source server on CentOS 5.6?[/quote]
Good luck with getting help on your issue and realizing the resulting revenue stream, and I hope you are willing to provide the kind of guidance to your potential competitors that you hope to get here. As Gerald points out, and as explained in the guidelines, a positive approach is more likely to get positive results.

Rct_Tsoul

Post by Rct_Tsoul » 2011/05/10 14:02:13

Well I now see where this is going, even if someone were to post the correct command line here for me you will just delete it or edit it and throw in some nasty little trolls to jack me up, so I will just ask that it be emailed to me at the address below:
rcttsoul2@gmail.com

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2011/05/10 14:06:24

No, you don't see where it is going, unless you see IGNORE.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/05/10 14:25:37

[quote]
Rct_Tsoul wrote:
Well I now see where this is going, even if someone were to post the correct command line here for me you will just delete it or edit it and throw in some nasty little trolls to jack me up, so I will just ask that it be emailed to me at the address below:
rcttsoul2@gmail.com[/quote]
I fail to see why anything said here would lead you to that conclusion, nor was anything said just to "jack you up". Requesting a private reply, on the other hand, would lead to exactly the kind of information hiding that you seem to expect us to engage in.

Any replies should be made here and will not be modified (except for correcting obvious errors such as failing to format correctly) or deleted by moderators unless they contain explicit abuse in violation of the often-cited guidelines (which you are pushing pretty hard), illegal material, or spam.