DHCP Warning in Oracle10g Installation

Installation and support for Oracle DB on CentOS.
jacklocke

Post by jacklocke » 2009/12/06 01:48:18

Hi,

I am trying to install Oracle 10g on CentOS 5.4 ... Now when I run orainstaller, it warns me about having DHCP enabled is OS.

I have installed Oracle before in my windows box many times, so i know that if i have this warning , it means that when i will restart my machine, the EM's web interface wont work anymore and will get [i]"page not found"[/i] error. AND to over come this problem in windows , I had installed Microsoft Loopback Adapter which creates kind of VLAN ( well, i am not good at n/w thing so its just a guess )

I have checked my HOST files in CentOS, it does shows something like , 127.0.0.1 localhost ...

So, my question is ... is there any way that I can make CentOS to have static IP ??

Also , I CAN NOT DISABLE DHCP ... because I have to use it at my University WiFi network and at coffee shops :D ...

Thanks in Advance for any help

Peace

Jack.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2009/12/06 13:02:51

Disclaimer - I don't use Oracle; however, a look at a couple of results from a quick google on [code]oracle localhost[/code] seems to indicate that it should work with localhost (AKA loopback) as long as you don't require external connections.

jacklocke

Re: DHCP Warning in Oracle10g Installation

Post by jacklocke » 2009/12/07 02:33:55

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I know that oracle works with localhost with help of loopback adapter ( that's how i am doing for windows, with help of Microsoft Loopback Adapter ) ... but how do i do for CentOS ... that was essence of my OP.

Peace
Jack :-D

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2009/12/07 15:38:44

And that was the essence of my answer - apparently insufficiently explicit. IP address 127.0.0.1 (defined in /etc/hosts as "localhost.localdomain localhost"), corresponding to device "lo" shown by /sbin/ifconfig, is the loopback device you would use under Linux.

KermitDaFragger

Post by KermitDaFragger » 2009/12/07 19:54:43

Be aware that Oracle will NOT like it if you change its IP after installing. You will need to change several configuration files (check listener and tns config files) after your IP has changed.

I think it would be easier to create a dummy interface and have Oracle bind to that if you are just using oracle for developing.

jacklocke

Post by jacklocke » 2009/12/09 04:30:49

To, pschaff ...

If 127.0.0.1 is loop back adapater, and on base of it, if CentOs can create virtual n/w ( just like in case Windows , with help of MSFT Loopback Adapter ) then why Oracle Installed throws warning for having DHCP ??? ( Because I am sure that, once Loop back adapter is setup in windows , OUI never shows warning for DHCP ) ...

I have checked my Host File and it does have [i]"127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost"[/i] entry.

Please, dont feel annoyed for my references with windows ... I have just started to learn and like Linux ... So, my knowledge for linux is a bit primitive. :-)
any more suggestions ?

and
To, KermitDaFragger
I know Oracle is kind of "possessive" :-D for IPs we give it to her at time to installation ( not like SQL Server ). And its the reason why Oracle EM's web interface will not work if we setup it on DHCP. and so I want to do it with help of Loopback adapter. Which will fool Oracle that I am using it on a m/c with static IP or say m/c in local network.

any more suggestions ?

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2009/12/09 23:26:51

[quote]
jacklocke wrote:
To, pschaff ...

...then why Oracle Installed throws warning for having DHCP ??? ) ...
[/quote]
Sounds like an Oracle question, or maybe Kermit knows. I'm an Oracle dummy. :-)
[quote]
I have checked my Host File and it does have [i]"127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost"[/i] entry.

Please, dont feel annoyed for my references with windows ... I have just started to learn and like Linux ... So, my knowledge for linux is a bit primitive. :-)
[/quote]
No problem. We have to start somewhere.

jacklocke

Post by jacklocke » 2009/12/10 03:30:28

Man, sounds like end of road :-( ....

I have already tried at Oracle Forums at OTN ... but those guys says its problem of CenOS !!!

BTW, being moderator of this forum you still sounds very gentle pschaff :-D (hey don't get any wrong ideas :-P)... atleast you understand that i am trying to learn something new that i have never tried before, can't say same for guys at OTN.

just for information, is there any way we can change that default "127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost" ?? i mean instead of 127.0.0.1 something like 10.10.10.10 ?? i've actually try to change it , but it doesnt seem to be working.

I guess, i am trying to do something that nobody have done before, so i have to leave this idea until i get skilled at CentOS.

but I am still open to any suggestions.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2009/12/10 14:23:48

[quote]
jacklocke wrote:
Man, sounds like end of road :-( ....

I have already tried at Oracle Forums at OTN ... but those guys says its problem of CenOS !!!
[/quote]
Don't see how CentOS can be blamed if Oracle wants to object to a very standard network setup. There are undoubtedly ways to work around it, but it clearly seems to me to be an Oracle issue. "Those guys" are wrong.

[quote]
just for information, is there any way we can change that default "127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost" ?? i mean instead of 127.0.0.1 something like 10.10.10.10 ?? i've actually try to change it , but it doesnt seem to be working.
[/quote]
Not a surprise. The loopback device is down and the kernel driver level and not something normal mortals are going to change. :-)

[quote]
I guess, i am trying to do something that nobody have done before, so i have to leave this idea until i get skilled at CentOS.

but I am still open to any suggestions.[/quote]

Go back and have a look at Kermit's post #5. I think that's the heart of the issue, but then recall my professed Oracle ignorance.

KermitDaFragger

Post by KermitDaFragger » 2009/12/10 22:52:56

I doubt localhost is going to work for Oracle.

The dummy interface should work, you can even route to it from other interfaces. There is some info on it here: http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Virtualization-en-US/ch-virt-laptop-configurations.html . Obviously you only need the part about the dummy interface, you can ignore the part about virtualization.