Installation of Oracle 11g on CentOS 5.1

Installation and support for Oracle DB on CentOS.
bodanel

Installation of Oracle 11g on CentOS 5.1

Post by bodanel » 2008/06/12 10:23:52

Hello

I hava a pc with 2 nic's that i am using for testing. I wanted to install Oracle last night but because i had a pppoe connection to the internet one of the nic's had a DCHP assigned address and Oracle gave me this message:

[message begin]>>>>>>>
Checking Network Configuration requirements ...
Check complete. The overall result of this check is: Not executed
<<<<
Recommendation: Oracle supports installations on systems with
DHCP-assigned public IP addresses. However, the primary network
interface on the system should be configured with a static IP
address in order for the Oracle Software to function properly.
See the Installation Guide for more details on installing the
software on systems configured with DHCP.
<<<<<< [ mesage end] <<<<<<<<<

After i received this message i disconected from the internet, put some 192.168.x.x address to one of the nic's and 10.10.x.x(as the documentation sugested) to the other and tried again. The problem is that i still receive the same message during checking but now i have 2 nics that have both static ip address. I did not manage to find anything useful by now on google. If anyone can help i will be greatful. Meantime i am still on google. :-)

THKS

hughesjr
Site Admin

Re: Installation of Oracle 11g on CentOS 5.1

Post by hughesjr » 2008/06/12 12:23:53

I think that Oracle is just confused with it's detection (assuming that you have set up the NIC correctly).

If you edit the files [b]/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0[/b] (and ifcfg-eth1) and verify that neither is set to DHCP, then you should be OK. Then restart networking with the command:

[b]/etc/init.d/network restart[/b]

[quote]
NOTE: this is only a warning ... I set up DHCP on all my machines and reserve a STATIC IP for my servers, so I just ignore that error when installing Oracle.
[/quote]

bodanel

Post by bodanel » 2008/06/12 12:54:52

I know that is only o warning but i just start learning oracle and i want to do everything by the book. I will let you know what happen when i get home. Thanks for your answer.

P.S. do you know how oracle check if i have dhcp enabled or not ?

bodanel

Post by bodanel » 2008/06/13 05:37:45

@ hughesjr

i verified the nic's and neither is set to DHCP and restarted de network service. I had the same problem but because i was getting frustrated i chosed to ignore it and installed oracle. Everything had gone perfectly and i started experimenting with oracle last night. Thanks for help. Maybe when i will know how OUI check for DHCP i will know how to avoid this things.

Thks for you assistance

pjwelsh

Post by pjwelsh » 2008/06/13 13:33:54

You may want to look at info like:
http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/11g/OracleDB11gR1InstallationOnEnterpriseLinux4and5.php
http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Installing+Oracle+11g+on+CentOS+under+VMWare+on+a+Macbook?t=anon #ignore the Mac part
http://www.jameskoopmann.com/docs/Install_Oracle11gCentOS5.htm