"CentOS Stream 8 - BaseOS" and "CentOS Stream 8 - Extras" repositories brutally slow

Issues related to configuring your network
d5han

"CentOS Stream 8 - BaseOS" and "CentOS Stream 8 - Extras" repositories brutally slow

Post by d5han » 2022/04/28 22:18:24

Building some podman images I was wondering why they were taking so long when I found that some CentOS Stream repos are responding incredibly slow.

For reference:

Code: Select all

podman run -it quay.io/centos/centos:stream8 dnf update
CentOS Stream 8 - AppStream                         19 MB/s |  21 MB     00:01    
CentOS Stream 8 - BaseOS                            34 kB/s |  22 MB     10:51    
CentOS Stream 8 - Extras                            35 kB/s |  18 kB     00:00    
Dependencies resolved.
Fetching the AppStream metadata was fine at 19 MB/s, but 34/35 kB/s for BaseOS and Extras is pretty brutal. The AppStream's performance is a good indication that it's not an issue specific to my network connection or dnf.

Is there something going on with these repositories currently? Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: "CentOS Stream 8 - BaseOS" and "CentOS Stream 8 - Extras" repositories brutally slow

Post by TrevorH » 2022/05/17 19:27:25

It might be using a different mirror entirely - dnf picks a mirror for each repo and uses that and if you have it specified via mirrorlist= (the default) then it asks the mirrorlist server for the list and gets back and answer of geo-related mirrors that it thinks are close to your location. Yuo can try a yum clean all which among other things, tells it to pick a different mirror from the list.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke