multiple pppoe connections

Issues related to configuring your network
lpaseen

multiple pppoe connections

Post by lpaseen » 2021/01/31 23:42:46

I'm running a firewall with two dsl connections that I configured as ppp0 (ipv4) & ppp1 (ipv6). They both use the same modem (connected to eth2) but different login info. This works fine under centos6 but now I need to migrate this to centos8 and after several hours of trying things I still can't get it to work.

I'm using nmcli to set it up and here is the first issue, it's close to no doc on how to setup pppoe with nmcli. I can't use the ifcfg-ppp0/1 files from centos6, they are completely ignored.

After a lot some guessing I managed to get one connection going with

Code: Select all

nmcli connection add type pppoe con-name ppp0_ipv4 username $USERNAME0 password \"$PASSWORD0\" ifname eth2
But this replaces/takes over eth2 so I can no longer connect to the adsl modem to do things like extract line stats.
And of course when I try to start up ppp1 it kills this connection so I end up with just one connection.

After mostly guessing I came up with

Code: Select all

nmcli connection add type pppoe con-name ppp0_ipv4 username $USERNAME0 password \"$PASSWORD0\" ifname ppp0 pppoe.parent eth2
nmcli connection add type pppoe con-name ppp1_ipv6 username $USERNAME1 password \"$PASSWORD1\" ifname ppp1 pppoe.parent eth2
And then I can at least get the ppp0/ipv4 connection to work and while the ppp1/ipv6 doesn't kill the first one it still fails and it seems like it's possible because the dhcp6c fails due to no MAC address (need that part since I have a ipv6 segment sent to me).

Besides the problem of using two connections on one ethernet port I also have issues getting ipv6 working. I found out that the /etc/ppp/ipv6-{up,down} scripts are broken, they trying to use the old network-function scripts (I already opened a bug on that).

Right now I wonder where I can find some info on how to setup multiple pppoe connections on the same network interface and how to get the ipv6 stuff to work.

/lpaseen