network-scripts deprecated :-(

Issues related to configuring your network
addw

network-scripts deprecated :-(

Post by addw » 2021/01/20 00:14:14

I have just noticed that network-scripts is deprecated and I am being told to use Network Manager.
This is a retrograde step. I use network-scripts on servers; once set up the network config never changes. The config files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ are nice & simple - just works. Network manager is big and I have found to be buggy.
I am not expecting the CentOS project to fix this defect, I am more registering the idea that KISS can be a good option.
(KISS - Keep It Small and Simple)

addw

Re: network-scripts deprecated :-(

Post by addw » 2021/01/20 12:08:12

I have done all of that ... my post was mostly about me not being able to do that once network-scripts is removed.

jlehtone

Re: network-scripts deprecated :-(

Post by jlehtone » 2021/01/20 12:26:43

You have to register the idea to Red Hat. Even though CentOS Stream will supposedly open development of RHEL to "community", it is still Red Hat that calls the shots and they seem to opt for different kind of "simple" (as can be seen in FirewallD).
addw wrote:
2021/01/20 00:14:14
Network manager is big and I have found to be buggy.
Can you describe (point to) the bugs? I use NetworkManager on servers; once set up the network config never changes. I'd like to verify my configs to avoid those bugs.

NM did appear with RHEL 6. At that time it was severely lacking features, IMHO. It was about RHEL 7.3 or 7.4 when (included) NM got support for most of the features that I use.

Return to “CentOS 8 - Networking Support”