OpenVPN Server using NetworkManager?

Issues related to configuring your network
stefvienna

OpenVPN Server using NetworkManager?

Post by stefvienna » 2020/08/29 22:42:39

Hi,
I guess I'm simply too stupid, but I've been looking for docs to set up an OpenVPN-Server (not client!) using the Gnome NetworkManager in Centos 8.1. :cry:
I need to set up a site-to-site OpenVPN between a remote Cenos box,which is also a gateway to a central pfSense box.
I sucessfully managed to set up OpenVPN lines when the Centos box is the client and the pfSense box is the server, but in some cases I need itthe othe way round as the Centos box has a fixed IP-address and some of the pfSense-boxes have changing adresses.
I have found some scripts scrips to do the job, but the all use tls-certs for auth and I'd rather use pre-shared keys (the default in pfSense for site-to-site VPNs).
So can some kind soul point me into the right direction on how to convince either Gnome NetworkManager OpenVPN-plugin t create an OpenVPN server instance instead of a client instance or how to manually set up a site-to-site OpenVPN using pre-shared keys?
Thank you!

jlehtone

Re: OpenVPN Server using NetworkManager?

Post by jlehtone » 2020/08/31 08:36:20

First, there is no CentOS 8.1 any more. If your packages are not up to date (currently based on 8.2), then run sudo yum update

You want to set up a openvpn server. NM is not a likely tool for that. Manual solution should be relatively easy:
1. Create /etc/openvpn/server/stef.conf with proper content. See https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... andclients
2. sudo systemctl enable openvpn-server@stef
3. sudo systemctl start openvpn-server@stef
4. Adjust firewall to allow openvpn connections, etc

stefvienna

Re: OpenVPN Server using NetworkManager?

Post by stefvienna » 2020/09/01 08:09:28

ok, thx,will giveit a try.
Btw. I do user Centos 8.2 with latest patches, that was a typo ;-)