Samba access problems with Brother network scanner

Issues related to configuring your network
sbluhm

Samba access problems with Brother network scanner

Post by sbluhm » 2019/12/09 20:38:53

Hello all,

can you please give me some thought input in trying to fix my issue? I am pretty stuck on identifying the root cause.
Environment:
CentOS 8 with Samba 4.9.1-8
Samba set up as NAS file server connected to an external Samba AD server (on CentOS 7, pretty old Samba version).
Brother ADS-1600w document scanner (WLAN)
SE Linux is set to permissive

Issue:
I am trying to scan a document from the scanner to a NAS share. The scanner pulls in the paper. Does an initial connection whilst scanning. Then when saving the file, I get a meaningless message on the display "Submission Error".

Analysis done:
1. Scanner AD user can log into and access the network share from Linux and Windows.
2. Scanner AD user can create and delete files on the network share from Linux and Windows.
3. When setting up the scanner and pressing the test button, it seems to test the access OK (not really sure what the test button really does though).
4. I attempted to set up a different storage destination but it shows similar behaviour.
5. Logs show authentication OK. log1.log is for the first access during scanning. log2.log is the attempt to write to the share.
6. Checked for time differences.
7. Before this file server move, the scanner connected reliably to a Thecus NAS (very old).
8. Scanner seems to use SMB 2.02 protocol version.
9. Network access to and from the scanner is there (webUI and outgoing e-mails work fine).

Can you confirm from the logs that there are no issues? I cannot see anything. What else could I look at?

Thank you,

Stefan
log1.log
(5.27 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
log2.zip
(2.31 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

BShT

Re: Samba access problems with Brother network scanner

Post by BShT » 2019/12/10 12:05:47

try to set a public share with 777 and see what happens

it could be a firmware issue, you can try to update it

try to set debug level to 10 and look at it

sbluhm

Re: Samba access problems with Brother network scanner

Post by sbluhm » 2019/12/11 12:08:47

Thank you BSht.
BShT wrote:
2019/12/10 12:05:47
try to set a public share with 777 and see what happens

it could be a firmware issue, you can try to update it
I already tried a public share with 777. I might set up a simpler Samba server with just that one line without AD integration to verify this.

BShT wrote:
2019/12/10 12:05:47
try to set debug level to 10 and look at it
Hmm, I thought I did that. Will see if I can increase the log level. Thank you for this pointer.

Best wishes,

Stefan