Issues related to configuring your network
jlehtone

Re: 9-stream no dhcp lease to a new vm with bridged networking

Post by jlehtone » 2022/08/12 12:16:50

I presume that the development of Fedora is something like:
* After release of a Fedora version (e.g. 34) two things happen:
1. A "Fedora 34" code branch is diverted from the main codebase "rawhide"
2. New features are started to add to rawhide
* As time passes, minor (critical) fixes may be added to the Fedora 34 branch as long as it is supported.
* The content of rawhide is polished until it can be released as Fedora 35
* Rinse and repeat

A Fedora release is thus something that is tested to work.

At some point (perhaps ever three years) Red Hat cherry-picks features from Fedora and other sources for a new CentOS Stream.
The Stream is a "rolling release", new features are continuously added. The whole distro might not be "consistent" at any time.

About every six months Red Hat creates a code branch from Stream for next RHEL point update.
The code in RHEL branch is polished until it can be released as RHEL point update.
After release the branch gets critical fixes until the next RHEL point update is released.

The Fedora 34 and RHEL 9.0 are "consistent, tested releases". The CentOS Stream 9 is in continuous flux, where new things are tested.
Sure, the "new things" have probably been tested elsewhere, like Fedora, but not in particular combination.
Furthermore, some of the features are injected as backports. The "upstream sources" have never seen such.

Two examples:
* The RHEL 9 has openssl 3.0.*. That was not tested in Fedora first.
* The RHEL 8.6 was released with backported features that caused trouble despite previous exposure in Stream 8 and RHEL 8.6 beta.

We used to have Fedora Core in use, but the Fedora release cycle did in practice force us to reinstall once a year. (Running the installer is but a fraction of work.)
We did shift to CentOS Linux as it provides a rather stable platform for several years.
Now I'm side-stepping into AlmaLinux due to the "shifted focus of the CentOS Project".

user9452

Post by user9452 » 2022/08/14 06:46:19

It seems the development is a bit different on stream-9 than I thought. Luckily I have all the changes as ansible playbooks and configuration files are in git so changing to either rhel (I believe its free for single server as long as you register) or rhel-clone should be pretty straightforward.

But for now, I'm going to stick with current setup. I should probably pay close attention to bug tracker and change logs.

user9452

Post by user9452 » 2022/08/14 06:55:07

jlehtone wrote:
2022/08/12 12:16:50
We used to have Fedora Core in use, but the Fedora release cycle did in practice force us to reinstall once a year. (Running the installer is but a fraction of work.)
We did shift to CentOS Linux as it provides a rather stable platform for several years.
Now I'm side-stepping into AlmaLinux due to the "shifted focus of the CentOS Project".
Completely off-topic now but I'm curious why people choose rhel-clones over debian/ubuntu? That's basically the reason I'm runnin centos on my homelab to see is it better and how it is different. I'm pretty sure this would have been easier just to do with debian-based distros since the internet is full of guides. Not so much for centos.

I did run proxmox before this and it's great and all but everything is done ready for you that's just boring for a tinkerer :roll:

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2022/08/14 08:32:47

user9452 wrote:
2022/08/14 06:55:07
Completely off-topic now but I'm curious why people choose rhel-clones over debian/ubuntu?
I can tell only my reasons:
  • I've used RHL, Fedora Core, and CentOS Linux (and RHEL somewhere too). What they have is familiar (RPM-packages, yum-repos, location of configs) and RHEL has documentation. I've seen Ubuntu and everything was "entirely different". Even with (very recently learned) Ansible a shift to different family of distros won't be "cheap". (This same excuse is used by organizations for staying with proprietary rather than shifting to open source; the cost of re-education is significant.)
  • The clones (if they don't die) do have same life cycle as RHEL: up to ten years. That sounds much better than five(?) years.
  • There are commercial software that is "selective" about the platforms it supports. RHEL tends to be one of the supported and thus software tends to run on EL clones (but would it run on Debian?)