i9 and E16575_ROG_MAXIMUS_XII_HERO_WI-FI_UM_V2_WEB

Issues related to hardware problems
OldCrazyGuy

i9 and E16575_ROG_MAXIMUS_XII_HERO_WI-FI_UM_V2_WEB

Post by OldCrazyGuy » 2021/04/11 00:17:01

If I had hair, It would be gone. I installed Centos8, Mariadb, etc on a ssd and then sent in across country to my buddy. He loaded it into an I-9 machine on a E16575_ROG_MAXIMUS_XII_HERO_WI-FI_UM_V2_WEB motherboard. Mariadb stuff is GLACIALLY slow .. The I9 has 64G of RAM and the SSD should cause it to scream. But the only screaming come from me.
We've even tried to reinstall Centos directly on that machine. No joy there either. Grief trying to read the setup iso from the USB. (Built on a PC using Rufus) ..
I'm an old database hacker, and lightbulbs are as close to hardware as I ever want to get. I really hope one of you smart guys will say Duh, you need to do .... Does Centos Installation configure the OS for the hardware? Is there a way to get it to redo that? Or is there something else going on. Like disk controller or other stuff. The databases are a few gigs, but with 64G of ram, Everything should be done in memory .. Like I said, I've got no clue. :?:

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: i9 and E16575_ROG_MAXIMUS_XII_HERO_WI-FI_UM_V2_WEB

Post by TrevorH » 2021/04/11 01:13:14

Either do not use Rufus or read the long thread on here where the Rufus developer posts about how to make it work correctly with our iso images. Without the right options selected it will corrupt our iso and cause all sorts of errors. Or use a different program, like say dd under linux.

The most likely explanation that I can think of is that the machine has different hardware than the one you built the install on and it's using the wrong driver for the disk controller. If you haven't already run dnf update then do so and you will pick up a newer kernel and the install of that will rebuild the initramfs to include support for the hardware that's present on the machine itself. Since there was a newer kernel released today, it's quite likely that you can just update and pick up the newest and try it that way.

Also, look at the output from fdisk -lu /dev/sd[a-z] and make sure that the partitions are aligned correctly. SSDs are extremely sensitive to alignment issues and slow down dramatically if things are not correct.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

OldCrazyGuy

Re: i9 and E16575_ROG_MAXIMUS_XII_HERO_WI-FI_UM_V2_WEB

Post by OldCrazyGuy » 2021/04/11 14:07:23

Thanks awfully. --- I'll see if there's something down those rabbit holes. -- You were right on, about the different machines, but we did upgrade. -- I didn't know about the SSD stuff.. "There's always something to take the joy out of life."