Good enough graphics card for CentOS?

Issues related to hardware problems
PaulR

Good enough graphics card for CentOS?

Post by PaulR » 2020/01/02 22:41:16

Hello
I have a Dell T7600 workstation (2012) with an ATI Radeon 7570 gpu, with catalyst propietary driver. Video and audio worked ok with hdmi in my CentOS 7.3 ...until i had to update the system and i lost sound through hdmi. After cleaning Radeon drivers, i tried with a NVidia GeForce 750, but i could not make that work properly (loop in display manager login ).
As my system is now updated ( yum update), i can't use old Radeon drivers, because if i try to reinstall them a message says my XServer version is too modern for them...ughhh :|
So i'm decided to buy a new gpu. I will use it mainly for programming so i'm not worried about performance or 4K. I'd like "only" not having problems with drivers.
But i'm not able to identify the proper gpu for that.
Could you please recommmend some cheap graphic cards to be used with no driver problems in CentOS 7/8 ?

KernelOops

Re: Good enough graphics card for CentOS?

Post by KernelOops » 2020/01/03 17:03:45

Since my servers don't come with a monitor, I have never looked what is supported (or not) under CentOS. But, for Fedora, which I use as a desktop everywhere, I've had great experience with AMD and Intel chipsets, both came fully supported in Fedora with their respective open source drivers. Never had to install anything extra or proprietary, unlike the NVIDIA cards which absolutely require binary closed-source drivers.
--
R.I.P. CentOS :cry:
--

PaulR

Re: Good enough graphics card for CentOS?

Post by PaulR » 2020/01/04 00:30:27

My Linux experience is also better with AMD, so I'm thinking on a Radeon 560 Aero ITX gpu..
Does somebody know of something better for a Linux gpu under 200$ ?