Wish to install RHEL9, blowing away RHEL8

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
lightman47

Wish to install RHEL9, blowing away RHEL8

Post by lightman47 » 2023/01/21 19:30:49

I _ALWAYS_ blow this!! When I begin the installation, I am prompted for which partitions to 'remove/free' so I have the space for the new install. I wish to release the space from my RHEL8 installation. My lsblk for sda (the UEFI 2TB SSD target drive) on this machine looks like:

Code: Select all

NAME                 MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda                    8:0    0   1.8T  0 disk 
├─sda1                 8:1    0   949G  0 part /mnt/Win
├─sda2                 8:2    0   520M  0 part 
├─sda3                 8:3    0   600M  0 part 
├─sda4                 8:4    0     1K  0 part 
├─sda5                 8:5    0     1G  0 part /boot
└─sda6                 8:6    0 911.9G  0 part 
  ├─rhel_wvideo-root 253:0    0    70G  0 lvm  /
  ├─rhel_wvideo-swap 253:1    0  11.8G  0 lvm  [SWAP]
  └─rhel_wvideo-home 253:2    0 830.1G  0 lvm  /home
Invariably, I free incorrect partitions, either not enough or too many, and clobber something Windows needs in the process. Then comes the work of deleting and recreating both 1TB partitions and reinstalling Windows 10, then RHEL. I'd love to NOT have to do all that this time - I'm going to have enough work getting the apps & getting them working. While most of the configuring after install is scripted, many of the needed programs aren't available in the 'repos' in 9 and I have to acquire them otherwise - then there is configuring the settings in all of them. My personal (poorly educated) impulse would be to submit sda5 and sda6 for the new installation but having 'been here before' I doubt that is correct.

May I inquire from those more knowledgeable with partition structure than myself, which partitions on my drive should I reclaim in order to have RHEL9 and Windows work? As usualy no 'emergency'!

Thank you much.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Wish to install RHEL9, blowing away RHEL8

Post by TrevorH » 2023/01/21 19:40:54

You don't have to 'free' them if they are the right size, you can just expand the bottom section on the left, click each filesystem in turn, adjust the stuff in the right hand pane like filesystem type or format or whatever, add the right mount point and click update (which is sometimes off the bottom of the right hand pane). It'll move from teh bottom section of the left pane to the top.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke