Centos 9 Stream (FW Missing)(NIC)

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
danndy

Centos 9 Stream (FW Missing)(NIC)

Post by danndy » 2022/12/21 09:22:39

Hey guys,

I have a HP server, where I installed Centos 9 Stream minimal. I have 2 Network Cards.
1 is gbps, and other is 10gbps, I was using the one with higher flow, but suddenly stopped working.

So I had to switch to the other one. I think there was some kind of update, and something went wrong.
I cant activate connections with “nmtui” I’m getting an error, which I will send a picture.
And there is an error with “fw missing” which I will provide with picture.

I downloaded SPP for HP, which went through some update procedure(kernel, firmware, etc.) but still nothing.
Will reinstalling the whole system help?

The point here is to avoid reinstalling, coz I have some production there, which now takes slower, because of that error.
Can any1 share some insight on this matter?

PS. when in boot the faulty card is blinking, as soon as the system loads, lights go out on that card. Maybe a hardware problem?
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
FW.jpg
FW.jpg (94.36 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
AC.jpg
AC.jpg (226.5 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Centos 9 Stream (FW Missing)(NIC)

Post by TrevorH » 2022/12/21 11:29:44

Check the output from dmesg -T for entries about missing firmware files. If you see them then they should name the file it's looking for and armed with that name you can try yum provides '*/$firmwarefile.name' and see if anything provides that. If not then there is Google.

You also say that you have this in production. CentOS Stream really is not suitable for production workloads, it breaks too often. I would recommend looking at one of the other RHEL rebuilds and migrating to that.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

danndy

Post by danndy » 2022/12/21 14:01:07

Unfortunately, I had to reinstall the whole system. (Now it works) It seemed less work and a faster way to get it done.

I googled this issue, but couldn't find the solution, the one thing that I did find, is this same card but WIFI, and there is a fix for that.
Thanks for the reply, I will try to educate myself with RHEL.

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2022/12/21 21:22:31

TrevorH wrote:
2022/12/21 11:29:44
You also say that you have this in production. CentOS Stream really is not suitable for production workloads, it breaks too often. I would recommend looking at one of the other RHEL rebuilds and migrating to that.
This.

The CentOS Stream is a preview of what might get added to RHEL. Development and test. "Upstream".

CentOS Linux was built from sources of RHEL that Red Hat makes public. As similar to RHEL as possible. "Downstream".
AlmaLinux, Rocky Linux, Oracle Linux, and many other distros do use that "built from sources of RHEL" approach.
They are as stable as RHEL. Even RHEL has a free subscription option now.

If you did full reinstall, you could as well choose one of these and redo the install once more, rather than use time to tinker with the CentOS Stream.